Re: "And again he said it not"

May 08, 1997 10:57 PM
by kymsmith

Doss quoted:

>>"And again I say unto you, it is easier for a camel to go
>>    through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter
>>    into the kingdom of God."

Alan responded:

>Scholarly bit: This putative saying of Jesus is almost certainly the
>result of misinterpretation of Jesus' own language, Aramaic/Hebrew.  The
>Aramaic word GMLA (Heb. GML) can mean (a) Camel (b) Rope.  Aramaic
>speakers even today put this phrase in context and read "rope," not
>"camel."

That's hysterical!  For decades, via Catholic school, I've been taught the
"camel" version.

Forget that the camel version makes little, if any, sense. . .if it's in the
Bible, it must be so. If one doesn't understand - that's because it's
esoteric - it's just too deep for us 'masses'. . .

Why, I thought since it's REALLY HARD for a camel to squish through a
needle, a rich man might as well plan on going straight to Satan Land. .
.but now to know that Pat Robertson and other great men of wealth may just
have a chance to shimmy with me in heaven warms me in a way I cannot
describe. . .

I bet THEY knew, too!  Those interpreters of the Bible - they were just
testing us.  They're so full of frolic and jolliness.  I bet ole' King
James, upon discovering the typo, exclaimed "Nay, tarry, leave this as is!
Let a smile come upon their face. Fear not, they'll never be daft enough to
believe it. . ."

Thus Spoke Prozac.