Re: THEOS-L digest 929

Feb 25, 1997 04:38 PM
by M K Ramadoss

At 05:54 PM 2/25/97 -0500, you wrote:

>>  I would like to hear more about the conditions in corporate world.
>
>Talk to any young person around you living in it.  Ask them about the
>physical stresses they are under in terms of physical working conditions
>which often look good but are really damaging to the health -
>air-conditioning, sick buildings, unnatural lighting, banks of computers,
>denuded fast foods etc), and the hours they work including commuting time.
>The 40 hour week is long gone.  Ask them about the emotional conditions such
>as, smile sweetly while you are required to kill someone or lose your job,
>concentrate on the politics not the job or you lose your job, grovel to the
>hierarchy in ways you wouldn't imagine or lose your job, rip off  the client
>or lose your job, cover up for the bosses disasters or you lose your job.
>Then ask them about the intellectual conditions.  Most may be too young to
>know that they are all using, and some are stressing, their intellectual
>muscle (the brain) as never before, and short term memory problems are
>becoming rife wherever high level computer usage is prevalent.
>
>Then ask them what devices they use to cope.  How they are endeavoring to
>keep their bodies in any way healthy and what ends they are having to go to
>to do so?  Then ask them how they are caring for themselves emotionally and
>how they reconcile their private ethics with what they are required to do on
>behalf of the employer.  And ask them how close to their own limits they
>feel all the time, and whether they fear falling over the edge. Look at the
>nervous breakdown statistics around you and see how rapidly they are
>climbing.  These aren't false claims - no-one is idiot enough to get
>themselves classified for nothing.  Then ask them what is happening to their
>brain - this one is pretty unrecognized yet - early days, but I'll make a
>prediction that there will be a new area of work related injury claim in the
>next few years.  At the moment the victims of brain burn out are simply
>having to drop out and take menial work, or are being classified as nervous
>breakdown cases, but soon it will be recognised.

   Now that you have a first hand experience of the conditions described
above, have you considered what your alternatives are? May be if we brain
storm and get some ideas, it may help a lot of people who have got caught in
the system and by the time most realize where they are heading, it may be
too late.

>>> Ah, but are you implying that they are a spiritually inferior race which can
>>> never contact their higher selves in such a meat eating incarnation?
>>>
>>     First of all I do not know first hand about the higher self. Nor
>>have I met a person yet who tells me convincingly about he/she is in
>>contact with his/her/the higher self. Nor do I know if anyone group of
>>individuals spiritually superior or inferior. I have always claimed each
>>one of us is unique and many of our problems are due to the comparisons
>>in life.
>
>Good, I'm glad to hear it, but tell the vegetarian holier than thou's that
>at my lodge.  You are not the whole of the vegetarian fraternity, and
>unfortunately this is what they say!   And it does take a lot of swallowing
>to put up with it all the time without fighting back.  Is it not obvious
>from the reactions of the meat eaters on this list that we are HURT for some
>reason?

   Over a period of time, I have developed thick skin. I think each one of
us should go ahead do what each one of us think is good for us. If anyone
says anyone is inferior because of eating meat, then it is nonsense. Even
Lord Buddha said that what is important is not what goes into the mouth, but
what comes out of it. Unless we learn to take an overall view of things, and
not concentrate on one aspect of life, we all will miss a lot of things.

   BTW, did you see my post on the issue of celibacy from Krishnamurti's
viewpoint? It was an eyeopener for a lot of us who have got used to
traditional model.

>>  Have we not heard about some people who are self controlled and cool,
>>but are killers and crooks. So irritability is not a sign connected with
>>anything spiritual, IMHO
>
>Yes, and I just love the fact the HPB was the founder of the TS.  She was
>decidedly more hot blooded and irascible than I am (I hope)!
>
>Christine

And HPB got more accomplished than may 100,000 vegetarian calm individuals.
Let us think about her achievements and ask ourself what is really important
-- results that help thousands of people or nice conformity to socially
accepted norms (including those of "Leadbeater Theosophy Model").

MKR