Re: Eat Your Veggies

Feb 23, 1997 06:33 AM
by m.k. ramadoss

On Sun, 23 Feb 1997, Ann E. Bermingham wrote:

> ----------
> > From: M K Ramadoss <ramadoss@eden.com>
> >
> > I have known many animal rights activists who have cut off all meat, sea
> > food, poultry etc with no problems. Again one has first to have a
> > commitment and then experiment the change.
> >
> I believe the future of vegetariansm lies in finding and creating
> high-quality, good-tasting sources of vegetable protein that will provide
> complete protein.  Most of the soybean substitutes available today
> are loaded with sugar, artificial flavors and preservatives.
>
> Also, vegetarianism needs to address those with special needs,
> like allergies, diabetes, hypglycemia, low-fat, etc.  Most of the veggie diets
> I see don't address these at all.  There's a great deal of experimentation
> that needs to be done in this area to truly make it work for everyone.
>
> -AEB

I agree that a lot of experimentation has to be done and will be done.
I have been a vegetarian (lacto) all my life and eat spicy food and has
seen no problem with protein needs. My family is also lacto vegetarian.
Most of my neighbors think we save a lot of money by being a vegetarian.

Also most of the people in India are
vegetarians and even those who eat meat only eat may be once a week and
some only once a month, because meat is very expensive. Also on all holy
days of Hinduism, no one eats meat.  I have known several diabetics and
have not seen any problem with vegetarian food.

MKR