Re: Internet Usage Survey

Feb 22, 1997 07:24 AM
by ramadoss

At 08:46 AM 2/22/97 -0500, you wrote:
>----------
>> From: M K Ramadoss <ramadoss@eden.com>
>>
>> Here is something I picked on CNN web.
>> ===========================
>>
>>        Survey: Internet use
>>        surging
>>
>>        February 21, 1997
>>        Web posted at: 1:30 a.m. EST
>>
>> CNN) -- A new survey finds the
>> number of people who use the
>> Internet appears to be growing by
>> great leaps.
>>
>The front page of the Chicago Sun-Times announced that
>the phone company, Ameritech, was having trouble
>delivering service to the western suburbs because there
>were so many people subscribiing to AOL and staying
>on the Web hours.
>
>> Most people use the Internet from home, according to
>> the survey. More than 22 million access the 'Net from
>> their home computers; 13.3 million do so from work,
>> and 6.8 million log on from school.
>
>I told someone recently that I spent more time on the
>Internet than watching televison, and she responded
>by telling me I was ADDICTED.

  There was a report that after Internet, the TV watching has dropped in
those homes where there is Internet. I tend to agree. It may be good.

>One thing different about the Internet vs TV is that
>it is interactive.  When one watches television, one
>sits like a slug and lets others act upon one, while
>one can respond and create on the Web/Internet.
>
>> The fastest growing group of users are those between
>> the ages of 25 and 34, the survey found. That group
>> represents 30 percent of online users.
>>
>They have grown up with computers and are more
>likely not to see them as strange complicated boxes
>that require a techno priesthood to explain.

  Let us wait until the generation now in elementary and middle schools grow
up. They are growing up with Internet and it would be second nature to them.

>> The survey also found that the Internet gender gap is
>> shrinking. Females now make up 45 percentof those
>> who go online.
>
>This is bad news for those that want to dominate
>women online, offline or anywhere on the planet.
>The more aggressive females may decide to flame
>the unequality-minded males and form networks that
>fight domestic abuse and job discrimination.
>Probably already happening, but we can only see more
>of it as more "ladies" log on.

  Any kind of injustice is wrong. Every tool that helps should be used and
used to its fullest extent.

>> And most people use their computers to send and
>> receive e-mail, and to get information about their
>> hobbies or products and services.
>
>There's been a rash of newspaper articles and television
>shows about people meeting their dream spouse online, as well
>as married people meeting a new online lover and running off
>with that person.  There seems to be an implication that there
>is some kind of marital danger on the Internet and that one should be
>careful about who one was talking to, because that person might
>break up your marriage.  My take is that if it wasn't a good
>marriage, some other person would break it up.
>Besides, finding another partner has occurred many times
>before in local bars, in the supermarket, the church and the PTA.
>Only thing new here is that we've opened up a whole new arena
>in which to meet people.
>
>But if one spouse was spending a lot of time online, it would
>certainly make the other spouse suspicious.  I distinctly remember
>the time my husband asked me how old Dr. Bain was.

I think I posted this before. This wife was complaining that her husband was
spending a lot of time on internet. Someone responded that at least he is
home. How would she feel if he is away at a bar spending a lot of time and
not knowing what he is doing there, not to mention just the alcoholism issue.

As you say, there is nothing wrong with the tool. If things are going to
fall apart, they will.

MKR