Re: THEOS-L digest 899

Feb 12, 1997 00:53 AM
by Tom Robertson

MKR wrote:

>1. The National Board can throw out any member.

What is the alternative to this?

>3. The National Board has to approve each and every expenditure at each >and every lodge and center before they can spend $5,000 or over for any >purpose.

The society would be more vulnerable if large expenditures did not
require approval.

>5. The National Board and or Adyar can shut down the Section. Once this is
>done, all charters of lodges and study centers are automatically cancelled,
>which immediately triggers seizure of assets.
>
>6. Once this happens, all assets go into a Trust governed by Trustees who
>are not answerable to anyone.

Does this mean that assets can become any individual's property?

>1. Now all new lodges and centers are initially granted a probationary
>charter. They have to prove to the satisfaction of the National Board that
>the activities are "Theosophical" in their (NB) judgement and opinion. Only
>after such a probationary period, a regular charter is issued.

The implied alternative seems to be that no one should decide what is
Theosophical and what isn't.  But someone has to decide what an
organization's policies are, or there is no point in having an
organization.  If you are saying that you disagree with their
decisions, that is one thing.  But you almost seem to be saying that
the very fact that someone decides is wrong.

>3. We now have *approved* National Lecturers who are the only ones who >can travel and lecture at TSA expense. No one knows what the >pre-requisite for approval. So only *approved* Theosophy is spread thru >these Approved National Lecturers.

I don't see the alternative to this.  Does the fact that anyone can
use TSA money to travel and lecture mean that I have the right to
demand that if I want to discuss the virtues of hoarding money and
laughing at starving children, the TSA must finance it?