The First Object of TS

Jan 31, 1997 07:52 AM
by M K Ramadoss

Last night when I was at the lodge library, I happened to pick up a book and
when I opened it, I saw this very interesting letter from Master K.H.

He has very simply and clearly stated what the first object of the society
is. It is philanthropy. Read for yourself, the following letter.

===========

LETTER 68

FOR DR. Hubbe Schleiden VIA H. S. O.

To be accepted as a chela on probation - is an easy thing. To become an
accepted chela - is to court the miseries of "probation." Life in the
ordinary run is not entirely made up of heavy trials and mental misery; the
life of a chela who offers himself voluntarily is one long sacrifice. He,
who would control hereafter the events of his life here and beyond, has
first of all to submit himself to be controlled, yet triumph over every
temptation, every woe of flesh and mind. The Chela "on probation" is like
the wayfarer in the old fable of the-sphinx; only the one question becomes a
long series of every day riddles propounded by the Sphinx of Life, who sits
by the wayside, and who, unless her ever changing and perplexing puzzles are
successfully answered one after the other, impedes the progress of the
traveller and finally destroys him. Let H. S. O. explain what he knows of
chelaship. We refuse no one. "Spheres of usefulness" can be found
everywhere. The first object of the Society is philanthropy. The true
Theosophist is the Philanthropist who- "not for himself, but for the world
he lives." In this direction much is already achieved by Dr. Hubbe
Schleiden. This, and philosophy  the right comprehension of life and its
mysteries  - will give "the necessary basis" and show the right pathway to
pursue. Yet the best sphere of usefulness for the applicant is now in
Germany. When complications arise and there comes a new development, he will
be advised. His health will be looked after: for the present as little
writing as possible. "Der Vater M . .'' is in no mood of answering. I do so
for him.
K. H.