Practical Theosophy in simple language - to Martin

Jan 30, 1997 07:11 PM
by Einar Adalsteinsson & ASB

------ =_NextPart_000_01BC0F24.8E906BC0

Martin Euser wrote:
(evidently my posting didn't make it to theos-l -=20
Einar brought this to my attention)
So, let's give it another try :)

Einar wrote:
>My experience is that you can "wade" quite profound waters with people =
=3D
that are new to the subject, if you keep the discussion in a everyday =
=3D
language, and talk about it from a non-theoretical platform. <snip>
I have conducted a series of courses for newcomers, which go through the =
=3D
essential and fundamental principles of Theosophy, without mentioning =
=3D
theosophy or the traditional technical terms. <snip>
The trick, I have found, is to relate the whole thing to the everyday =
=3D
experiences, and take it from a psychological experiential viewpoint. =
=3D
Ad you have to make it practical and interesting, or no one will listen.

	Einar: could you give us one or two examples to illustrate
your approach a bit more?

Martin
---------

Dear Martin,

Here comes my contribution, necessary very limited in space and time at =
this medium.

Firstly these courses are about what would translate strictly as "Mind =
Culture", but could go as Self-culture. To start wit I emphasize the =
wisdom of the ancient=20
yoga, taking base in the definition by Patanjali, i.e. that real yoga =
consists in=20
controlling or suppressing the thought-processes, thus learning to know =
the inner=20
programming structure of ourselves and by that gaining control of every =
situation=20
in our life. I introduce a few important technical terms, like the =
principle of=20
oneness, the mystical experience, the pure awareness, and few terms we =
use=20
when probing the working of the psyche. I use the division of Instincts, =

Emotions, Feelings or Sensitivity, Thought-processes, Insight, etc.=20

I also use a model of the Conscious, the Unconscious and the =
Super-conscious,=20
or better the Ultimate Unity of Consciousness.=20

I ascertain the "universal awareness model", which states that in our =
innermost=20
being we are Pure Awareness, witnesses, rather than thinkers or doers, =
and=20
certainly not our body, - that the "I" is unreal, a thought, a =
collection of memories=20
over a long period of time, that we are really processes rather than =
things.

This is all followed up by relating it to daily living examples.=20

One important thing is to understand the difference between words, =
Ideas,=20
hypothesis, opinions and believes, on the one hand and reality and "what =
Is" on=20
the other hand. I tell them not to believe anything that I am telling =
them, and I=20
explain for them why not. I have touched upon this on the list before, =
but in short=20
a communication with words is only possible if both the speaker and the =
listener =20
have experienced the reality of what is being communicated. The =
classical=20
example is how to explain visual beauty to one that has been blind from =
birth.

Another basic lecture is about learning to "un-believe", i.e. to use =
"positive doubt"=20
on every single idea and believe that comes our way. A certain mind is a =
closed=20
mind, whereas a mind that denies itself of being certain of anything, =
but at the=20
same time gives every theory a chance, one that never believes fully, =
but at the=20
same time never condemns, is a truly open mind, and only an open mind =
can=20
learn something new.

One important thing I explore before going into the Meditation, which is =
an=20
important part of the program: There are different "laws" governing the =
"Inner=20
Reality" of ourselves than the outer space and time world. The most =
important=20
factor is the UNITY OF INNER SPACE. There are no "others" inside me, so =
I can't=20
use will or force to change anything there! - Yes this needs some =
explaining, but=20
it's a FACT, if you look at it.=20

If I want to change something in my psyche by willing or using force, =
there have=20
to be two entities, the one that wants to change, and someone or =
something that=20
resists the change. This breeds inner conflict, a "psychological =
personality split"=20
that perpetuates our phobias and manias, and with it all the conflicts =
in the outer=20
world. The only really successful process to relieve the inner conflict =
is to=20
"know thyself", a rally profound understanding or insight into what we =
really=20
are. Then all inner conflicts and psychological problems will simply =
automatically=20
evaporate from the Psyche. This is where meditation comes in, an =
introspection=20
free of both craving and self-condemnation, and at best, free of any =
movement=20
of thought altogether.

This of course needs an extensive probing with a lot of reference to our =

common experience, and also a lot of discussion. One thing here - there =
are two=20
"types" of will, a personal will, that is "egoistic" and really only an =
expression of=20
our desires, and there is an "Inner Will" that is of a totally different =
nature, and=20
which will emerge naturally with the inner insight of meditation and =
spiritual=20
work. This inner will is what slowly takes over all our inner processes =
and=20
eventually brings total harmony in our lives.

This is only a very short and incomplete description of the first part =
of our Self-
culture session.

In the second session I go further into the "Oneness-Principle" relating =
to both=20
outer and inner processes. In third and  fourth session I take them =
through the=20
"inner cleaning process, dealing with emotions, attitudes, believes and =
opinions,=20
criticism, envy and jealousy, egoism and the tyranny of ownership, the=20
problems of codependency and incorrect relationships, on to the positive =
thinking,=20
forgiving and loving, the art of giving and sharing, etc. Here I =
introduce the law=20
of karma and relate it to the daily life. I also touch upon =
reincarnation and the=20
path of enlightenment, but that is taken thoroughly in the last session =
together=20
with other basic Theosophical theories.

Session five is dedicated to health and the healing from every thinkable =
aspects,=20
emphasizing that health stems from within, and the sixth session is =
dedicated to=20
the introduction of traditional Yoga and spiritual practices.=20

This is only touching lightly upon  the seven sessions held weekly and =
lasting about 90 minutes including meditation time.

Hope this isn't too longish.

Love and light,

Einar.