Re: The roots of 1925

Jan 29, 1997 05:03 PM
by M K Ramadoss

At 07:11 PM 1/29/97 -0500, you wrote:

>The following was written by Krishnamurtui in 1911, and published
>in a now very scarce book that was once sold to the members of
>the TS.  I post it here because I think it throws some light on
>the historical background to the elsewhere discussed frenzy of
>1925.  Also, what is stated here about Mrs. Besant's authority as
>an Initiate, is still held to be so by those that have controlled
>the TS over the past sixty years.

>                       MRS BESANT
>
>What can I say to you of your dear President that you do not know
>already?  Her colossal intellect, her unfailing wisdom, her
>unrivalled eloquence, her splendid forgetfulness of self, her
>untiring devotion to work for others--all these are familiar to
>you.  Yet these qualities, these powers, are but a small part of
>her greatness; they are on the surface; they may be seen by all;
>they may leap to the eyes.  But there are other qualities, other
>powers of which you cannot know, because they pertain to the
>secrets of Initiation.  She is a pupil of our Masters; from the
>fount of Their archaic wisdom she derives her own; the plans
>which she is carrying out are Their plans for the welfare of the
>world.  Think therefore how great an honour it is for you that
>you should be permitted to work under her, for in doing so you
>are virtually working under Them.  Think how watchful you should
>be to miss no hint which falls from her lips, to carry out
>exactly whatever instructions she may give you.  Remember that
>because of her position as an Initiate she knows far more than
>you do; and precisely because her knowledge is occult, given
>under the seal of Initiation, she cannot share it with you.
>Therefore, her actions must constantly be governed by
>considerations of which you have no conception.  There will be
>times when you cannot understand her motives, for she is taking
>into account many things which you cannot see, and of which she
>must not tell you.  But whether you understand or not, you will
>be wise to follow her implicitly, just because she knows.  This
>is no mere supposition on my part, no flight of the imagination;
>I have stood beside your President in the presence of the Supreme
>Director of evolution on this globe, and I know whereof I speak.
>Let the wise hear my words, and act accordingly.
>(J. Krishnamurti, ADYAR, THE HOME OF THE THEOSOPHICAL SOCIETY).

>   |Jerry Hejka-Ekins,                      |
>      |Member TI, TSA, TSP, ULT                |
>         |Please reply to: jhe@toto.csustan.edu   |
>            |and CC to jhejkaekins@igc.apc.org       |
>               ------------------------------------------

Thanks for the post.

This is the model, it appears that many even today may be believing. ie. any
and every decision coming on from the top should be uncritically accepted
and supported because of the implication (belief) that those at the top know
better and there is no need to explain anything.

I ran into an instance when I heard about a TS member (an older person) was
"terrified" about even the thought of voting against the Bylaw Changes
(described as *housekeeping*) brought before the TSA Membership a year ago.

With this *model* it is very easy to make individuals *conform*.

With little imagination one can easily understand the potential/actual
consequences if this kind of behaviour permeates all through the chain of
command. I have not seen any evidence that it *is* not the case. I have an
open mind and would welcome anyone to throw some real factual light on this
to dispel this scenario.

MKR