Condition of the TS in 1925

Jan 29, 1997 04:11 PM
by Jerry Hejka-Ekins

>> From: Jerry Hejka-Ekins <jhe@toto.csustan.edu>
>>
>> I think it is important for members who are dedicated to the
>> *original ideals* of this organization to be aware of its
>> history.  Once they are aware, they need to realize that the
>> beliefs and ideals of 1925 still form the hidden rationale for
>> the policies upon which the TS operates today.  That is why
>> the TS had been stuck for the last sixty years. . .

AEB
>The same holds true for the LCC.  They still cling to the glory
>years of CWL and have extreme difficulty in changing anything
>that he set down way back then.  Also, the ruling bishops
>are over 65, who having lived with things the way they are for
>so long, can't even imagine it being any other way.

JHE
The history of the LCC is so intertwined with the TS that I hold
little hope for it either.  CWL's and GSA's idea for the LCC was
for it to be the vehicle for the new religion brought forward by
the world teacher (Krishnamurti).  As someone had mentioned
before on theos-l, being active in the LCC, ES, Co-Masonry and
the Egyptian Rite are to this day expected of those who wish to
find themselves in the inner group that really runs the TS.  In
the eyes of those ruling Bishops, this remains the one important
function of the LCC.  IMO, if the LCC is to survive and grow, it
will have to dissociate itself from the TS and find its own
purpose for existance.

MKR
>It looks like things have to become worse before they become
>better. It appears that now TSA is in the forefront of
>institutionalizing these policies.  Take for example the policy
>of putting study centers and lodges on "probation" before a
>permanent charter is issued.  Also the recent unsigned article
>in Theosophical Messenger which expounds the three "aims" of TS.
>Add to it the "Approved" list of lecturers.

JHE
I think the probation idea came about because they got tired of
issuing charters to Study Centers and Lodges which folded after a
couple of years.  But the three "aims" article was without
question a political move.  The "Apporved" list of lecturers is
an old idea that keeps popping up.  My first experience with it
was in Los Angeles in the late 60's.  Hida Tilson (one of the
inner leaders of the TS at the time) tired to set it up as a
"Speakers Bureau."  The hidden agenda at the time was to take
Stephan Hoeller out of the lecture circuit, because he was
considered an "enemy" in those days.

MKR
>At this rate we may soon have a set of beliefs that a member
>have to approve of or adhere to. The logical extension of this
>would be to likelyhood get certain number of approved course
>hours from Olcott institute before one would be allowed to run
>for any office.

JHE
This "set of beliefs" idea is the great schizophrenia of the TS
that Annie Besant and CWL had so much trouble over.  Ernest Wood
talks about it in his book.  All of that "inner government"
authority that CWL devised in 1908 -- for which he and Besant
became the mouthpiece -- was in direct contradiction to the
freedom of thought ideals established by HPB, HSO and WQJ.  It is
one of the really interesting dynamics that made the TS to crazy
during the Besant/Leadbeater years.  Besant would on the one hand
preach freedom of thought and then push people out of the TS who
disagreeded with her.

See my other post "the roots of 1925" for a document concerning
this.

MKR
>The pity is that newbees who does not know the historical facts
>of TS may be taking all of this as acceptable since it follows
>the pattern of many organized religions.

JHE
That is why the management gets away with what they do.  Most
people are more like sheep than they want to admit.  They follow
the leadership assuming the best, and they don't ask enough
questions.

MKR
>The only salvation is likely to be the medium of unmoderated
>Internet which can present all sides of all issues and make
>newbees think and decide for themselves. Independent thinkers
>can be unpredictable and cannot be driven like a bunch of sheep.
>It appears that the independent thinkers who are not currying
>any favor -- financial or non financial -- may be the future
>hope.

JHE
I hope this is so.  I'm doing what I can.  But just making the
facts known is not enough.  The majority of the membership has to
recognise what is going on and take some responsibility to make
changes.  This is not easy.  History shows that minority voices
like Ernest Wood, F.T. Brooks and T.H. Martyn were not believed
by the membership.  They were regarded as "malcontents."

A few years ago, my wife reviewed several academic studies on
people who try to tell the people in their group that the Emperor
has no clothes.  In industry they are called "whistle blowers."
At the very least, they are regarded as "malcontents" and it is
assumed that they are gaining some undisclosed benefit from
speaking out.  In practice, these whistle blowers were found to
have been motivated by conscience and the duty to do what is
right.  In the work place, as a general rule, they end up loosing
their job.  Often they are barred from getting another job in the
same industry.  In some cases, when a lot of money is at stake,
the corruption is entensive, and the corrupt elements are in
danger of being exposed, the whistle blower is murdered.  Those
who survive, typically live in poverty for the rest of their
lives, whether they succeed in exposing the corruption or not.
Two popular movies came out some years ago that show the real
dynamics.  One was called "Marie."  It was about a woman who
exposed the corruption in a southern prison system.  My wife
traveled back east to interview her.  She was one of the very
lucky ones who still has a life.  One of her associates who tried
to help her expose the corruption was murdered.

   |Jerry Hejka-Ekins,                      |

      |Member TI, TSA, TSP, ULT                |

         |Please reply to: jhe@toto.csustan.edu   |

            |and CC to jhejkaekins@igc.apc.org       |

                  .