Re: Simple Language - Low Fog Index

Jan 27, 1997 05:39 AM
by Ann E. Bermingham

----------
> From: Eldon B. Tucker <eldon@theosophy.com>
>
> . . . it falls short of the heart of the movment: the Path. Is our goal
> to sprinkle tidbits of occult, mystical, philosophical concepts
> into the mainstream of popular thought?

As far as I can tell, that's already been done by the New Age movement
television and Hollywood movies.

> It's not the TS that needs salvation, it's orphan humanity that
> has the big problem.

This statement gives me the shivers because it smacks of
arrogance.  And it also prevents TSA from honestly looking
at itself and seeing where the problems really exist in it's
own presentation to the public.

 Maybe you didn't intend to mean it that way, but I
have heard it before in articles in TSA publications.  "All we have
to do is sit tight another 100 years and humanity will FINALLY
catch up to us in consciousness.  So let's just take a chair and have
another cup of coffee till it happens."  One hundred years later
you may find yourselves in a storefront and barely in business.
Anyone in that orphan humanity, who are really your siblings, will
sense that tone in TSA's approach and run like the blazes in
the opposite direction.

You can't sit in an ivory tower.  You have to REACH OUT TO
PEOPLE WITH WARMTH AND FELLOWSHIP AND BE
WILLING TO TAKE RISKS.

>The TS is or could be a tool to assist in
> that effort. Its original charter, Blavatsky's initial intentions, etc.
> all don't mean that much. The big question is what is the TS today,
> and how can it be put to use in the Plan (the work of compassion, the
> living out of the Bodhisattva Vow, the work of making the kingdom of
> heaven here on earth, the spiritual work of manifesting the unseen
> beauties awaiting their turn to exist, etc...)

Good idea.  And that effort can best be served by using the
tools and the language of the day - like the Internet.

-AEB