ML TO AP SINNETT No. 6

Jan 25, 1997 05:32 PM
by M K Ramadoss

One of the readers/writers here was looking for this letter. I am posting it.

MKR

====================

THE MAHATMA LETTERS TO AP SINNETT

LETTER No. 6

[Received at Allahabad about December 10th, 1880]

No-you do not " write too much." I am only sorry to have, so little time at
my disposal; hence-to find myself unable to answer you as speedily as I
otherwise would.  Of course I have, to read every word you write: otherwise
I would make a fine mess of it. And whether it be through my physical or
spiritual eyes the time required for it is practically the same. As much
may be said of my replies. For, whether I "precipitate" or dictate them or
write my answers myself, the difference in time  saved is very minute.  I
have to think it over to photograph  every word and sentence carefully in my
brain before it can be repeated by "precipitation." As the fixing on
chemically pre-pared surfaces of the images formed by the camera requires a
previous arrangement within the focus of the object to be represented, for
otherwise - as often found in bad photographs -the: 'legs of the sitter
might appear out of all proportion with the head, and so on, so we have to
first arrange our sentences and impress every letter	to appear on paper in
our minds before it becomes fit to be read. For the present, it is all I can
tell you.  When science will	have learned more about the mystery of the
lithophy (or lithobiblion) and how the impress of leaves comes originally to
take place on stones, then will I be able to make you better understand the
process.  But you must know and remember one thing: we but follow  and
servilely copy nature in her works.

No; we need argue no longer upon the unfortunate question of a  "Day with
Mad. B." It is the more useless, since you say, you have no right to crush
and grind your uncivil and often blackguardly opponents in the "Pioneer" -
even in your own defence - your proprietors objecting to the mention of
occultism altogether. As they are Christians it is no matter of great
wonder. Let us be charitable and hope they will get their own reward; die
and become angels of light and Truth winged paupers of the Christian heaven.

Unless you join several, and organize somehow or other, I am afraid I will
prove but of little help for you practically.  My dear friend, I have my
"proprietors" also.  For reasons best known to themselves they have set
their	foot upon the idea of teaching isolated individuals. I will correspond
with you and give you proof from time to time of my existence and presence.
To teach or instruct you - is altogether another question. Hence to sit with
your lady is more than useless.  Your magnetisms are too similar and - you
will get nothing.

I will translate my Essay and send it to you as soon as I can.  Your idea of
corresponding with your friends and fellows is the next best thing to do.
But do not fail to write to Lord Lindsay.

I am a little " too hard " upon Hume, you say.  Am I? His is a highly
intellectual and, I confess, a spiritual nature too.  Yet he is every bit of
him " Sir Oracle." It may be that it is the very exuberance of that great
intellect which seeks issue through every chink, and never loses an
opportunity to relieve the fulness of the brain, which overflows with
thought.  Finding in his quiet daily life too meagre a field with but
"Moggy" and Davison to sow upon - his intellect bursts the dam and pounces
upon every imagined event, every possible though improbable fact  his
imagination can suggest, to interpret, it in his own conjectural way.  Nor
do I wonder that such a skilled workman in intellectual mosaic as he,
finding suddenly the most fertile of quarries, the most precious of
colour-stores in this idea of our Fraternity and the T.S.- should pick out
ingredients from it to daub our faces with.  Placing us before a mirror
which reflects us as he finds us in his own fertile imagination he says:
"Now, you mouldy relics of a mouldy Past, look at yourselves how you really
are!" A very, very excellent man our friend Mr. Hume, but utterly unfit for
moulding into an adept.

As little, and far less than yourself does, he seem to realize our real
object in the formation of an A.I. Branch.  The truths and mysteries of
occultism constitute, indeed, a body of the highest spiritual importance, at
once profound and practical for the world at large. Yet it is not as a mere
addition to the tangled mass of theory or speculation in the world of
science that they are being given to you, but for their practical bearing on
the interests of mankind.  The terms "unscientific," "impossible,"
"hallucination," "impostor," have hitherto been used in a very loose,
careless way, as implying in the' occult phenomena something  either
mysterious and abnormal, or a premeditated imposture. And this is why our
chiefs have determined to shed upon a few recipient minds more light upon
the subject, and, to prove to them that such manifestations are as reducible
to law as the simplest phenomena of the physical universe. The wiseacres
say: "The age of miracles is past," but we answer, "it never existed!" While
not unparalleled, or without their counterpart in universal history, these
phenomena must and WILL come with an overpowering influence upon the world
of sceptics and bigots. They have to prove both destructive and
constructive-destructive in the  pernicious errors of the past, in the old
creeds and superstitions which suffocate in their poisonous embrace like the
Mexican weed nigh all mankind; but constructive of new institutions of a
genuine, practical Brotherhood of Humanity where all will become
co-workers of nature, will work for the good of mankind with and through the
higher planetary Spirits - the only "Spirits" we believe in. Phenomenal
elements, previously unthought of - undreamt of - will soon begin
manifesting themselves day by day with constantly augmented force, and
disclose at last the secrets of their mysterious workings.  Plato was right:
ideas rule the world; and, as men's minds will receive new ideas, laying
aside the old and effete, the world will advance; might revolutions will
spring from them; creeds and even powers will crumble before their onward
march crushed	by irresistible force. It will be just as impossible to resist
their influx, when the time comes, as to stay the progress of tide. But all
this will come gradually on, and before it comes we have a duty set before
us; that of sweeping away as much as possible the dross left to us by our
pious forefathers.  New ideas have to be planted on clean places, for these
ideas touch upon the most momentous subjects. It, is not physical phenomena
but these universal ideas that we study, as to comprehend the former, we
have to first understand the latter.  They touch man's true position in the
universe, in relation to his previous and future births; his origin and
ultimate destiny; the relation of the mortal to the immortal; of the
temporary to the eternal; of the finite to the infinite; ideas larger,
grander, more comprehensive, recognising the universal reign of Immutable
Law, unchanging and unchangeable in regard to which there is only an ETERNAL
NOW, while to uninitiated mortals time is past or future, as related to
their finite existence on this material speck of dirt. This is what we study
and what many have solved.

And now it is your province to decide which will you have: the highest
philosophy or simple exhibitions of occult powers. Of course this is by far
not the last word between us and - you will have time to think it over.  The
Chiefs want a "Brotherhood of Humanity," a real Universal Fraternity
started; an institution which would make itself known throughout the world
and arrest the attention of the highest minds. I will send you my Essay.
Will you be my co-worker and patiently wait for minor phenomena?  I think I
foresee the answer.  At all events the holy lamp of spiritual light burning
in you (however dimly) there is hope for you, and - for me, also.  Yes; put
yourself in search after natives if there are no English people to be had.
But think you the spirit and power of persecution gone from this enlightened
age?  Time will prove.  Meanwhile, being human I have to rest.

I took no sleep for over 60 hours.

Ever yours truly,

KOOT' HOOMI.