The Chakas Today

Jan 23, 1997 02:04 PM
by Jerry Schueler

Paul:
>A new book by Caroline Myss, ...etc

Paul, you may have noticed that there is a whole lot of
new books out about chakras.  I just bought one called
"Healing the Spirit: Integrating Spirit Into Our
Understanding of the Mentally Ill" by John Nelson, M.D.
with a foreword by Ken Wilber (State University of
New York Press).  The Chakras are "in" nowdays.  I recall
the days when I had to send off to California for books
on the chakras, and pay through the nose.  Now you can
find material at any bookstore.  The idea of the chakras,
once occult and terribly secretive, is now in the open,
and is being used to account for all sorts of mental
and physical things by modern "authorities" of all kinds.
My first exposure was good ol' Evans-Wentz, but the
teaching has come a long way since those days.  I see
this as a good, and healthy, sign.  I suspect that
the TS influence here is minimal (Most theosophists
ignore or shun this subject).  Probably the biggest
factor is the current influx of Tibetan literature
and Lamas into the West.  For this blessing, I thank
China (an ill wind, and so on).

Jerry S.
Member, TI