Re: Truth and/or Consequences

Jan 23, 1997 10:39 AM
by Murray Stentiford

Kym,

[Richard wrote]
>Some very good points.  Just for clarification, however, what did you mean
>by your last sentence?  Initially, I thought you meant, "one wonders why
>they [young women] think men are the way to go [to find true happiness].

[Then Kym]
That is what I meant.  How about "one wonders why they think men are the
'exclusive' way to go?"  Not sure if that makes it any clearer, though.

Young guys think women are the way to go, too (hey, logicians, that's a
generalisation) and I often wonder why. No, that's not a slight.

The promise of FULFILMENT, excitement, happiness, becoming a real "MAN",
soul intimacy, the oh-so-remote feminine; yeah, and having notches on the
belt, and feeling powerful, and living out your family's pathologies etc etc
-- lead the young guy on. Society's images and expectations lay down the
tracks you're supposed to find fulfilment on, for men as well as for women.

With all the differences in these "pre-ordained" tracks, not to mention
biology, there's nevertheless a whole lot in common in the impulsion in
young women and men to respond to the immense magnetism that works between them.

And if mystical experience (wish-washy term - I mean something real, strong,
overwhelming, surprising beyond belief) can lift us out of ourselves, back
to the connectedness, joy and innate power that I reckon we all remember
deep down somewhere under all the socially-deposited layers, then, my God,
no wonder people seek for it, not knowing quite what they're looking for, in
sex and love which are, for many, the only places they are likely to get the
faintest hint of what's in store for them beyond their wildest longings and
imagination.

Murray