Re: Misguided Priorities of "Theosophists"?

Jan 21, 1997 04:40 PM
by Titus Roth

M K Ramadoss <ramadoss@eden.com> wrote:

[snip]

> In the same lodge, the ES members used to meet at 8:00 AM and their
> meetings would be over by 9:00 AM. There were some members who were in ES
> and attended the ES meeting. The interesting thing was there were a couple
> of members who after the ES meeting, just took off and never ever bothered
> to attend the TS meeting that followed nor even made any attempt to meet
> with non-ES members who showed up.

Sad. Not a very agapeic spirit.

> There were two cases I distinctly remember. One was a man in his
> sixties who had been a member for a long time and had even lived in Adyar
> for several years. The other was a younger man and his wife. The latter was
> then a mid level government official.  But if there was a TS meeting which
> was addressed by the International President or some other dignitary from
> Adyar, these three individuals would be in the front row of seats.

"Beware of the scribes, which desire to walk in long robes, and love greetings
in the markets, and the highest seats in the synagogues, and the chief rooms
at feasts."

There are three kinds of devotees: pidgeons, doves, and eagles. Pidgeons push
their way to the "highest seats". "Me first". Doves are harmless, do not
persecute other members, but also do not discern evil when it
threatens. Eagles protect the innocent. With their high flight they see the
machinations of evil and are prepared to do battle if necessary - but ONLY
when it is necessary.

[snip]

> It may do a lot of good to all members of TS -- both rookies and veterans
> alike, to revisit and remember the prime objective of the Real Founders was
> to help the Humanity and not to start a school of psychology or occultism
> etc. It may be a cry in the wilderness, if so let it be so.

Yes indeed. All too often people want to jealously claim some pompous
arcane-sounding bit of esoterica for ego's sake.

One thing should probably be explicitly stated, even if it is probably
implicit in your stance. TS and similar groups are not on the soup-kitchen
level of service - though there is certainly nothing wrong with that kind of
service. It is to make good "citizens" of the universe. Self-development, if
it is for the sake of being a good "citizen" is not selfish. As Jung said, it
takes individual grains to make the Sahara desert. One serves the whole
desert, provided he knows how to be a good grain. One naturally helps others
if he has found his center. He can better "pull out the beam" in others eyes.