Re: Truth

Jan 20, 1997 07:22 AM
by Tom Robertson

On Mon, 20 Jan 97, M K Ramadoss wrote:

>At 01:29 PM 1/19/97 -0500, you wrote:
>>And one should never forget that an interesting falsehood is better than a
>>boring truth.
>>
>>Chuck the Heretic
>>

>Chuck:
>
>I could not pass this one.
>
>Once you start with a falsehood (interesting or not), then it will lead to
>further falsehoods since there will be holes in the falsehood and so there
>will be a chain of falsehoods. To keep up requires extra ordinary mental
>effort because, each falsehood should not contradict any previous ones. And
>also, if the falsehood is told on a person to person basis, then one has to
>keep track of what falsehood was told to whom and also this applies to the
>chain of falsehoods. It is very demanding on the memory and exercises the
>brain very well. So it appears falsehoods are very challenging.
>
>A truth is simple and does not change and no burden on the memory and does
>not need much of a mental effort.
>
>MKR

Still, deception is often more interesting.  My favorite movies are the
ones in which deception runs the deepest.  Neil Simon's "Murder by Death"
made fun of it by taking it to ridiculous extremes, but I love to be able
to watch movies 10 times and still be challenged in trying to figure out
who was deceiving whom, and how.  Deception is part of what makes poker and
other games so interesting.