Re: Private matters?

Jan 14, 1997 06:43 PM
by Ann E. Bermingham

----------
> From: Drpsionic@aol.com
> To: Multiple recipients of list <theos-l@vnet.net>
> Subject: Re: Private matters?
> Date: Monday, January 13, 1997 11:16 PM
>
> Ann,
> I'm not surprised.  Some years ago, long before Elizabeth came so we
can't
> blame her, there was a major purgation of books in the Olcott Library to
make
> sure everything there fit the idea of theosophical purity.  Of course no
one
> said it like that, but that's basically what happened, and, as Candles in
the
> Sun and Is This Theosophy committed the cardinal sin of actually telling
the
> truth about some of the nutcases in the TS during the Besant-Leadbeater
> period, they sort of disappeared-- I think into the fireplace one winter
> night.

Why not a bonfire in the driveway?  I'm sure that would have
piqued the interest of the neighbors.

It doesn't surprise me.  Back in the late seventies, at the LCC,
the priest that was in charge of book sales left Chicago to live in
Ojai.  He'd stocked the book case with volumes about things
other than the LCC, including Eastern religions.  The minute he left,
the case was cleared of anything but LCC-related material, all
of which is ordered from St. Alban Press, the official US LCC publisher.
It was even frowned upon to TALK about anything that was non-
Christian from the pulpit, even though it was done occasionally.
I imagine that some of this may have come out of the battles
that came after K resigned.  There were some
people who wanted the church to be Theosophically oriented
and others who simply wanted to break away altogether and make
it a regular Christian church.

-AEB