Re: Candles in the Sun

Jan 13, 1997 06:29 PM
by Ann E. Bermingham

----------
> From: M K Ramadoss <ramadoss@eden.com>
> To: Multiple recipients of list <theos-l@vnet.net>
> Subject: Candles in the Sun
> Date: Monday, January 13, 1997 9:57 AM
>
> On a request from a subscriber, I just posted the famous 1900 letter from
> Master K.H. I just happpened to find a copy of the book Candles in the
Sun
> and in it there was a statement by the author which may interest many.
BTW,
> Emily Lutyens, the author was a very active member of TS and was also
close
> to AB and JK.
>
> =====================================
> ".. but I have been realizing more and more strongly during the past few
> months that the T.S. is drifting further and further from its original
> purpose, that it has ceased to be a body of seekers after Truth and is
> becoming more and more a flock of credulous sheep, following the orders
of
> those who have constituted themselves high Initiates, supposedly in touch
> with the great Hierarchy from whom they derive their authority. I see men
> and women laying aside their common sense and allowing credulity to take
its
> place. I see conceptions, which even though mistaken, held at least some
> germ of beauty and nobility, becoming cheap and degraded."
>
> "For many months I have hoped that there were a sufficient number of
members
> of the TS alive to the cancer which is eating its soul away to gather
> together and cut it out, but that hope is now dead. The disease is
spreading
> and I fear the patient is near at death. But I for one will no longer be
> part to a policy which plays upon the credulity, the vanity and ignorance
of
> men and women. Whether it is carried on in good faith by those themselves
> deceived, or whether there is a deliberate attempt to defraud matters
> little. The moment has come for plain speaking and I make no apologies if
> have said some harsh things. I know that what I say is true and truth
needs
> no apology."
>
> =======================================

It has been my observation that many people want to live for something
higher
than themselves and are willing to serve that which is higher.  They
sometimes
think they can do that more effectively through a group or organization,
believing
that large numbers of people cooperating will have the most impact.

Unfortunately, this positive human impulse is exploited by the leaders of
many groups and organizations.  Also, internal politics can completely
destroy the ability of an organization to function and do the work for
which it was originally created for.  The mad drive for power or wish to
impose one's thinking on the group leads to dictatorships and for those
that stay, surrender of their will.  While the rest scatter to other
groups, or discouraged, go it alone.

My observations aren't from watching TS, as I am a relative newcomer
here, although I can catch instances of these self-destructive
patterns in reading its histories.  I've been in other groups that
had much potential to do good work, but had personality
conflicts and flaws that gave the people involved enough ammunition
to not only shoot themselves in the foot, but everyone else's.

I am beginning to think that a truly functioning group, whether it
be non-profit or profit oriented, is a rare thing.  Perhaps, some
lifetime down the line, we'll get it right.

Remember Star Trek/The Next Generation?  Maybe by then.

-AEB