Private matters?

Jan 11, 1997 05:11 PM
by Dr. A.M.Bain

In message <9701110941.AA03934@toto.csustan.edu>, Jerry Hejka-Ekins
<jhe@toto.csustan.edu> writes
>JHE
>The denigration of other people through gossip and innuendos
>always seems to be a "private matter," and the victim is the last
>to know about it.  As long as I can remember, I have felt
>uncomfortable about "private" accusations, trials and
>condemnations that go on behind people's backs.  It is an art
>that many people have perfected--so called Theosophists
>unfortunately are not exceptions.  I have known many people who
>have been driven from the TS because of this nasty activity.  I
>have even seen it happen in Lodges.  Someone either becomes a
>threat to someone else, or the party line, or just becomes a
>scapegoat to draw attention away from the real problems.  The
>gossip runs hot and heavy while the victim is left in ignorance.
>Usually the victim senses that something is going on but no one
>will give him/her a straight story.  Instead, the victim is
>treated like a leper.  "After all, it is a private matter"  they
>will say.  "The accusers do not wish to be known."  "We don't
>want this to become public."  What they are really saying is: "we
>are out to denigrate you with gossip, and we don't want this to
>come out in the open because someone might expose it for the
>dirty game that it is."

This is precisely and exactly what happened to me this time last year.

This year I shall resign altogether from the Adyar TS, in which I have
seen this kind of behavior (in England) evolve almost into an art form.
The TS semms to be a very sick body, and likely to die.  If it is like
this in the rest of the world (and tales from the US are not
encouraging) then as Doss has reminded us all on more than one occasion,
the 1900 Letter warns of this very possibility.

So be it.  Maybe the cry of the 21st century will be "The TS is dead!
Long live theosophy!"

Alan
---------
THEOSOPHY INTERNATIONAL: Ancient Wisdom for a New Age:
http://www.nellie2.demon.co.uk/
E-mail: TINT@nellie2.demon.co.uk