Re: the Boston Lodge (Regarding hardline arguments)

Jan 11, 1997 01:24 PM
by Eldon B. Tucker

MKR:

>JRC at various times has
>expressed very clearly and succinctly ideas and suggestions that some on
>theos-l agreed. In such a situation, there are two choices. One is to lurk
>and be silent. Another is post a message of support, which only confirms
>that he is not alone in his views on a particular topic. It can be seen any
>way one wants. Either as an additional corroboration or cheering depending
>on how one views it.

If it were only a brilliant expression of ideas, no one would object, even
if they did not agree. In a discussion group, if you don't like what someone
is saying, and you were to walk up to them, grab them by their shirt and
pull them out of their chair, call them a puny little illogical fool with
vile motives and give an icy laugh in their face, and some in the group
started to clap and cheer, what would you think? There's something quite
wrong, apart from how brilliantly either argument was going on.

In my previous posting, I was pointing out the adverse side effects of
such an approach, since JRC may not be fully aware of how this appears.
If you seen no harm in it, and understand why personal attacks would be
valuable, perhaps you can explain it so that I can understand.

-- Eldon