humbleness

Jan 10, 1997 10:42 PM
by Thoa Tran

Liesel:
>I would also advise getting involved mentally, and with
>empathy. I have also found that as one goes along one
>develops "Skill in means". The more you know & understand,
>the better you can help.

I agree.  However, good actions have resulted from non-altruistic motives.
For example, a corporation will join in  helping out with a cause
(donations, activities) with a motive of P.R. for the company.  (Actually,
that is not totally correct.  Sometimes a company's involvement in a cause
was started by an individual dedicated to a cause.  However, that individual
had to do quite a bit of pleading to the bosses to get the company involved.
The bosses automatically considers the effect on the company from getting
involved with this cause.)  Some corporations have refused to join in events
such as AIDS Walk due to the controversial aspects of AIDS, although now it
is more politically correct by support from actors.  Several charitable
organizations have played up the marketing aspect as an incentive for
involvement.

As a thought, if there were huge incentives for a company to lay aside one
day a week dedicated to a cause (all staff), what a huge difference that
would make in the world.  I'm sure the staff would love having that one day
to get away from the office.  However, since a company can lose much money
from one day, no incentive would be worth it, monetarily.  That idea goes on
the list of If This Was an Ideal World.

TTT