Shadows and light in Christianity

Jan 09, 1997 08:42 AM
by K. Paul Johnson

JRC is quite right that comparing Christianity at its best to
Theosophy at its worst is not fair.  But it does balance the
tendency of Theosophists to do the opposite, which I did for
years.  Whatever the overall balance of light and shadow in
Christianity, though, it is the Methodists that I abandoned in
adolescence for greener fields, and that particular branch of
Christianity shows more intellectual flexibility and openness to new ideas
than any of the non-Christian groups I've explored.  Plus doing
better at the warm and fuzzy stuff.