Re: The New Year

Jan 08, 1997 07:09 AM
by Ann E. Bermingham

----------
> From: John Straughn <JTarn@envirolink.org>
> Oks.  I originally read about it in that Purucker book. "Fund. of Esot.
Phil."
>  i thought maybe you'd know a little something about it.

Never read a Purucker book.  In fact, I've never even seen one.

>I hear you on the
> mass quantity of bs that goes under astrology.  I dabbled in it a few
years
> ago, but found that there so so much bs  that I couldn't get anywhere
with it.
>  In other words, one book would totally contradict another, so I couldn't

> learn anything.  I pretty much just gave up.  Have you found that a
specific
> author gave you some truthful information?  Or perhaps a certain
publishing
> company?

It's a shame that your frustration led you to give up on it.  But I know
what you
mean - asteroids, past life astrology, vedic, etc.

When I was involved with Kriya Yoga, the head swami and many of his
disciples were astrologers.  I seemed to learn by osmosis and the astrology
had an Eastern slant.  I started with natal charts, transits and
progressions,
then slowly moved into other areas.  Once you get the basic meaning of
the chart symbols, it seems easy.

For transits, I use Sakoian and Acker's "Predictive Astrology" for the
outer
event possibility and "Planets in Transit" by Robert Hand for the inner/
psychological interpretations.  For natal charts, "The Astrologer's
Handbook"
by Sakoian and Acker and "The Wisdom and Way of Astrology" by Goswami
Kriyananda.  Alan Oken's books are good, too, but his esoteric astrology
is based on Alice Bailey, if you're interested in that.  Also, "Planets in
Solar
Returns" by Mary Shea.

I've heard that there's a movement going on to try to move astrology away
from the predition of events to psychological meaning.  This is an effort
give astrology more credibility in the USA.  I find both approaches useful.

I began doing charts and transits because a friend of mine, who was
supposed
to do my yearly transits, didn't get them done on time and I gave her the
$50
fee anyway.  After that, I taught myself to do them.  I have Halloran's
Astroldeluxe for
Windows software.

Hope this answers your question.

-AEB