Re: Law of Karma?

Dec 31, 1996 11:04 AM
by Titus Roth

Michael <wichm@xs4all.nl> wrote:

(With portions snipped out)

> I appreciate the views of various contributors on the theme of Karma, but I
> am not satisfied.

> One thing we can observe is that in nature survival of the fittest results
> in cruelty. There is awfully little consideration to the individual being,
> be it that an animal is shielded from having the notion of lamenting to a
> higher authority.

> There may be other influences that act upon one's life, but there is no
> Karma in the traditional manner. The dogma of Karma  is only blocking our
> view.  It is a useful, yet worthless piece of consolation for people who
> cannot accept life as it is.

> Accidental circumstances may have their merits, however seemingly unjust. In
> fact it is the backbone of evolution.
> Is there any form of cosmic justice, or is the hankering for it a reflection
> of our unsuccesful search for justice in human society?

I am new, so I haven't seen the early parts of this thread.

Michael, I appreciate your taking a serious look at the concept of karma. The
wisdom of the ages, though in my opinion of inestimable value, was not meant
to be swallowed without being digested. Without internalizing our spiritial
heritage, we can't very apply it.

But I think there is addition that must go with your conception of karma:
intentional suffering or the taking on of other's karma. This concept is much
more developed in the West where it was exemplified by Jesus and by a
tradition of saintly suffering, though we find it in the East also.

Simply put, we are responsible for our brothers and sisters. Even though we
may not have violated a spiritual law, we can still assume something of
another's karmic penalties to help him back on his feet.

Many human associations involve willingly (and gladly) assuming the burdens of
another. A parent will sacrifice for his or her child, a husband or wife for
his or her spouse, and friend for a friend. Extend this to our karmic covenant
in being born into an environment with certain parents or friends: We may not
have "earned" the genetic load we inherit from our parents, but we can agree
to assume it for their benefit and backwards "unto the third and fourth
generation" as the Bible says.

A related concept to intentional suffering ...

Until we have internalized a lesson, a certain amount of pain is also
necessary to light the lamp of illumination. This is the lesson of the cross.
A certain amount of pain is built into our world, as the allegory of the
fall from Eden portrays.

There is no more focused intensity of attention than in pain. Many, many
examples of a person's psychic gifts being opened after some tremendous
ordeal of pain. I could give you a dozen references.

I also love animals, so your remarks on cruelty in nature do demand an answer.
Being a sacrificial kingdom, I don't find it much of a stretch to think that
our animal companions also assumed something of the heaviness of our
non-Edenic world. They lend a hidden strength that I fear we will lose if
we cause their extinction through loss of habitat.