Re: to Tom Robertson

Dec 21, 1996 09:42 AM
by Bart Lidofsky

Tom Robertson wrote:

> You are probably going to have to take my word for it, but the illogic is
> all yours.  That, among much more sinister possibilities, is the kindest
> interpretation I have for how thoroughly you have distorted the meaning of
> what I said.  I will try to believe you have not done so deliberately.

	What I am trying to tell you is that, regardless of your true beliefs,
that is how you came off initially here, and that is the impression you
left. And, instead of stating that, in the limited medium of email, you
made statements which did not exactly reflect how you felt, you dug in,
stating simultaneously that we should not try to read your mind, and
faulting us for failing to read your mind.

	This has been somewhat compounded by the fact that you have clearly
espoused ideas that come from a philosophy known as "Social Darwinism",
which H.P.B. spoke against, and was confused with her speaking against
the Darwinian theories in general (for those unaware, Social Darwinism
is a philosophy which contends that, since survival of the fittest is a
law of nature, it should also be the base of human societies).  For
example:

>>       Or, if some statistical studies say women are more submissive than men,
>>then men should dominate women.
>
>If women are more submissive than men, then men are more dominant than women.

	Now, there are two ways that reply can be interpreted. The first is
that it is entirely superfluous. The second is that you are agreeing
with the statement. The problem is the difference between are, and
should, between people having tendencies, and the rightness with going
along with those tendencies, all the way to the rightness to enforcing
statistical tendencies on those who do not have those tendencies, to
their disadvantage.

	If one puts something in a message, then we generally have to assume
that it is not intended as being superfluous.

	You continue to send equivocating messages. If you do not intend to do
this, then you should be more careful. If you do intend to do this, then
one must come to the conclusion that you are here as a troll, and should
be treated as such.

	Bart Lidofsky