Re: Questions on Karma

Dec 15, 1996 11:27 AM
by Bee Brown

At 08:56 AM 15/12/96 -0500, you wrote:
>1) If karma means that justice is inevitable, does that mean that it is
>never good to act against injustice?  Doesn't not acting against injustice
>sanction it, and therefore encourage it, and therefore deserve it, so that,
>to the one who did not act against it, it is no longer injustice?
>
>2) If karma means that we can never hope to get any more or less than we
>have paid for, is there any ultimate gain or loss in anything?  Does it then
>even matter what we do?
>
>3) Is there good and bad karma, or just karma?
>
>The best answer I have to 1) is that I find it intuitively distasteful to
>passively accept injustice, in spite of it being the apparently logical
>conclusion to do so.

I like to see Karma as harmony or disharmony with the laws of the Universe.
We are either in harmony or we are not and as this earth life is for learning
to expand our consciousness so that we can undestand how the laws work, I feel
that justice and injustice are not really the appropriate words for it.
We stumble through many incarnations learning through disharmony to
align ourselves with the harmony of the Universe even if our personalities
may not always desire to do so. In the end, I believe we get the message
and gladly co-operate in our own unfolding.

>Similarly, with 2), striving to grow intuitively seems worth the effort, in
>spite of the intellectual conclusion that the reward is only equal to the
>effort.

It is not a matter of what we get or don't get. By our very nature that we have
built up over the learning period, we attract to ourselves any suitable
situation that can resonate with ourselves. If a person has developed an
expanded consciousness and resonates a deep loving kindness then among the
situations that arrive at his/her doorstep, there will be loving kindness too
because it can find an attraction in that person.

>With 3), it depends on whose perspective is being referred to.  Since karma
>can be pleasant or painful, believing in it has motivational power.  But
>from an acentric point of view, it has no value.  Whether it is good or bad
>depends on its relationship to its object.

Karma is how each of us view it. As the saying goes, 'what is one person's
treasure
can be another's poison'. I understand good and bad to be relative to the person
experiencing it. In Reality I do not believe that there is such
descriptions, rather
what motivates us to act is viewed by each of us through our desires and
hopes and
if it is not conducive to our personality then we view it as bad or
unwanted. Yet
we are told that we create these things for ourself.
I have wondered if there is Karma as told by Theosophy. If we attract to
ourselves
what can resonate with us 'now' then we cannot expect to attract what does
not, so
we feel hard done to. The quality of our resonating seems to be what matters
and this
is what life is for, to build better and better qualities within that will
resonate
and attract better situations and help us climb the path. I understand that
all life
works in magnetic attraction or repulsion so it makes sense to me that the
qualities
of my being causes what I attract 'now' rather than something I may have
done in the
past. I may have been undiligent in past lives and not acquired enough
harmonious qualities
to make my present life resonate to pleasant situations but if I start to
catch on
to what it takes then I may start to put some effort into developing qualities
that attract what I would like to happen.
Just some idle thought that were prompted by this post
Cheers.

Bee Brown
Member Theosophy NZ, TI.

I don't have a solution but