Re: Fw: Political Correctness

Oct 14, 1996 05:07 PM
by Dr. A.M.Bain

In message <199610142219.SAA04120@cliff.cris.com>, "Ann E. Bermingham"
<safron@concentric.net> writes
>> Face it, people; a skilled writer or translator can do a lot to make such
>> changes paletable, and many modern writers do so.  The world is changing
>> from one of female subservience to one of female equality.  The language
>is
>> going to change to suit, whether it's forced or not.

It's good you pointed this out.  Among modern theologians it is now more
common to find gender-inclusive language than not.  The New Revised
Standard Version of the Bible also addresses the problem, and has been
accepted worldwide as *faithful to the original texts.*

An example of a correct (not "politically" correct) translation from the
Greek New Testament:

"Whoever has ear to hear, listen!" and NOT

"He who has ears to hear, let him hear."

Jesus used *inclusive* language here!

The world *is* changing, the language *is* changing, and whoever does
not change with the times gets left behind, for change is, as they say,
the only certainty.

Everything I write nowadays is written in a gender-inclusive way, and
I'm not particularly skilled.  I have also revise what I consider
important writings from my past with no ill effects.

Thanks again for the memo!

Alan
---------
Homepage: http://www.nellie2.demon.co.uk/
THEOSOPHY INTERNATIONAL: Ancient Wisdom for a New Age:
TI@nellie2.demon.co.uk, and from homepage above.