New vs Old

Oct 13, 1996 01:16 PM
by Jerry Schueler

>I'm not trying to offend anyone here, but the TI is starting to sound a
>lot like the NIV.  I just hope you don't become so "new" as to forget
>the wisdom and the reality of the "old".
>---
>The Triaist

	I don't know what NIV is, but as an old Master once said, you
can't put old wine into new bottles (or new wine into old bottles for
that matter).  The problem here is that the TSs are great for newbies
and beginners.  But after some of us have read about karma and
reincarnation ten thousands of times, it starts getting stale.  This
is because after a few decades of study, the spirit tends to dwindle as
the mental gymnastics increases.  Pretty soon, one takes the exoteric
material for truth, and theosophy becomes a relgion rather than a living
inner spirit, or as I like to call it, a spiritual current.  In order to
keep the spirit alive and well, the exoteric ideas must be recouched
into new terms in order to provide new insights and keep the intuition
stirred up.  I try hard to do this on theos-l, as well as in my books.
But most theosophists stick with the same old tired material, that is
fine for newbies, but stale for me.  As I have said many times, there is
a whole lot more to karma and reincarnation than is written about in the
TS literature.

Jerry S.
Member, TI