Re: sexism

Oct 13, 1996 09:17 AM
by Dr. A.M.Bain

In message <199610130101.VAA06394@ultra1.dreamscape.com>, "liesel f.
deutsch" <liesel@dreamscape.com> writes
>one blood pours through human veins; that we are all the
>
><<children of the one Father>>
>
>and that our failure to recognize this fact is simply an indication of
>
><<man's stupidity.">>
>
>See what I mean? Sisters and mothers are never mentioned. They're
>understood, somewhat. When you think of being God's children, most of us
>have grown up thinking of God as our Father in heaven. The Goddess, who
>belongs at his side is just now reawakening.

Which reminded me of the following not so new theosophy:

The book of Proverbs, 8:4-35:

Wisdom (always "She" in both the original and in translation) speaks:

"To you, O people, I call, and my cry is to all that live. O
simple ones, learn prudence; acquire intelligence, you who lack it.
Hear, for I will speak noble things, and from my lips will come what is
right; for my mouth will utter truth; wickedness is an abomination to my
lips. All the words of my mouth are righteous; there is nothing twisted
or crooked in them. They are all straight to one who understands and
right to those who find knowledge. Take my instruction instead of
silver, and knowledge rather than choice gold; for wisdom is better than
jewels, and all that you may desire cannot compare with her. I, wisdom,
live with prudence, and I attain knowledge and discretion. The fear of
YHWH is hatred of evil. Pride and arrogance and the way of evil and
perverted speech I hate. I have good advice and sound wisdom; I have
insight, I have strength. By me kings reign, and rulers decree what is
just; by me rulers rule, and nobles, all who govern rightly. I love
those who love me, and those who seek me diligently find me. Riches and
honor are with me, enduring wealth and prosperity. My fruit is better
than gold, even fine gold, and my yield than choice silver. I walk in
the way of righteousness, along the paths of justice, endowing with
wealth those who love me, and filling their treasuries.

YHWH created me at the beginning of his work, the first of his acts of
long ago. Ages ago I was set up, at the first, before the beginning of
the earth. When there were no depths I was brought forth, when there
were no springs abounding with water. Before the mountains had been
shaped, before the hills, I was brought forth -- when he had not yet
made earth and fields, or the world's first bits of soil. When he
established the heavens, I was there, when he drew a circle on the face
of the deep, when he made firm the skies above, when he established the
fountains of the deep, when he assigned to the sea its limit, so that
the waters might not transgress his command, when he marked out the
foundations of the earth, then I was beside him, like a master worker;
and I was daily his delight, rejoicing before him always, rejoicing in
his inhabited world and delighting in the human race.

And now, my children, listen to me: happy are those who keep my ways.
Hear instruction and be wise, and do not neglect it. Happy is the
one who listens to me, watching daily at my gates, waiting beside my
doors. For whoever finds me finds life and obtains favor from YHWH.

[From the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible]

(When seen in the Hebrew, there are clear "Kabbalistic" references
 in the text)

Alan
---------
Homepage: http://www.nellie2.demon.co.uk/
THEOSOPHY INTERNATIONAL: Ancient Wisdom for a New Age:
TI@nellie2.demon.co.uk, and from homepage above.