Re: Spiritual Indicators

Sep 27, 1996 05:21 AM
by Ann E. Bermingham

KPJ:
> The new perception of religion is "a personalized, customized form
>of faith views which meets personal needs, minimize rules and
>absolutes, and which bears little resemblance to the `pure'
>form of any of the world's major religions."(p. 139)

I was wondering what type of church/organization would match up to this
description.  The first one that came to mind was Unity, with its freedom of
thought and emphasis on classes and education.  I know that in Chicago and Oak
Park, their buildings are packed to the walls.

Sounds to me that rather than lumping everyone in a big church group and
dictating codes of conduct, that every person would be treated as an individual
and their personal needs met from that angle.

How does TS fit into this picture?  My answer would be that it fits as much as
it would like to fit.  It has a lot to give along these lines IF it decides to
make itself understandable and applicable to the common person, rather than an
elite group.

-Ann E. Bermingham