Signposts and the Scientific Method

Sep 19, 1996 02:58 PM
by Jerry Schueler

>Richard Ihle writes>
>I like the scientific method, also.  However, I am usually careful
>not to get carried into the realm of science-worship by it.  Indeed,
>sometimes I find myself wondering if the entirety of the scientific
>method is not really based upon one of the classical "logical
>fallacies": ...

	Within my own universe model, outlined in Enochian Physics,
we all have experiences that are shared with others (where the I-Not-I
monads overlap) and experiences that are unique and not shared (areas
where no overlapping occurs).  The scientific method only works for
those areas of overlapping experiences--i.e., on the physical plane
where general agreement can be reached, and observations can be
verified, within tolerances, by others.  When we leave the physical
plane and go out into the higher planes, overlapping decreases and
the sharing of experiences decreases.  Thus the inner planes are
sometimes said to be "subjective."  Certain principles still
function for all of us, but except for a few general areas of
agreement (which I call signposts) there is little verification
possible of any one person's experiences.  For example, it is
pretty much agreed that inhabitants exist on every level and
subplane of the inner worlds.  However, when we try to describe
these, we find little agreement.
	I agree with Chuck in that the scientific method should be
used whenever possible.  However, when dealing with the inner worlds,
this can only be done at the signposts, and even there we seldom
have 100% verification.  This is largely because we judge these
experiences against our own cultural, sexual, racial, and religious
backgrounds, and even these are mixed in with our personal hopes,
wishes, fears, likes and dislikes, and so on.
	In dreams, these signposts exist too.  Jung called them
archetypal images, and said that they are from the collective
unconscious.  Here he is providing us with a theory based upon
his observations, and thus is in agreement with the scientific
method as much as possible.  We need to do the same for occult
and magical experiences.

Jerry S.
Member, TI