VOS AND DE ZIRKOFF

Aug 07, 1996 09:54 PM
by Keith Price

Ramdoss writes:
There is a very interesting article on "How The Voice of Silence Was
Written" by Boris de Zirkoff. Boris was HPB"s grand nephew and was the
editor of the collected works. The article appeared in AT Nov/Dec 1988.ove was
published in The Path, New York, Vol X, December 1895, pp. 268.
(SNIP)

Blavatsky:
        "They are grand aphorisms, indeed, I may say so, because you know I
did not invent them! I only translated them from Telugu, the oldest South
Indian dialect. There are three treatises, about morals, and the moral
principles of the Mongolian and Dravidian mystics. Some of the aphorisms are
wonderfully deep and beautiful. Here they have created a perfect *furor*,
and I think  they would attract attention in Russia, too. Won't you
translate them? It will be a fine thing to do."
Ramdoss:
It is very interesting to note that HPB did not know Telugu. Then how did
she translate? What occult/psychic method was used? These are very
interesting questions. I do not know if any one will ever know.

Keith

In the QUEST edition of VOS there is an introduction by Boris De Zirkoff. In it
he relates some of the history surrounding its production including:

"help{ing] students to  transform their thought into action, their aspirtations
into compassionate deeds".

It was written on a vacation to Fountainbleau,  France in 1891.  Blavatsky
reports "stange astral sights in these glades and valleys and dark pine woods."
Annie Besant and A.P. Sinnet were said to be much impressed.
She is reported as wiritng without notes or references as if from memory.  Thus
the tablets of Kiu-Ti did not seem to be physically before her, but in her
"mind's eye" perhaps.  It was the last work she saw to press herself.
Namaste
Keith Price