Re: Kabbalah

Aug 05, 1996 08:48 AM
by Dr. A.M.Bain

In message <960805025304_73632.105_FHV94-2@CompuServe.COM>, "Frank J.
Dyer" <73632.105@compuserve.com> writes
>     The genuine Kabbalistic tradition has recently been brought to the
>attention of the scholarly community through the works of Scholem and Matt.
>Anything else is derivative or speculative, IMHO. I repeat, there is no Book of
>Trees (in any Jewish Kabbalistic tradition).
>
>     The study of the above *genuine* sources will be repaid handsomely.

It is worth trying to get hold of the bilingual edition of "Likutei
Amarim-Tanya" which is a modern standard 'Hasidic work with Hebrew and
English on facing pages.  It has a description of the Sephiroth in an
appendix, and uses a lot of Kabbalist terminology in its commentaries.

(They spell themselves as Chassidim).  One of their Brookline (Boston)
members was greatly inpressed with my "Keys to Kabbalah" and made a
point of visiting me in England. [smirk].

My own copy is Copyright 1981 by "Kehot" Publication Society, 770
Eastern Parkway, Brooklyn, NY 11213.  British Section: Lubavitch House,
109/115 Stamford Hill, London N16 5RP.
---------
THEOSOPHY INTERNATIONAL: Ancient Wisdom for a New Age
TI@nellie2.demon.co.uk
http://WWW1.Minn.Net/~vlg/TI.html
(Note figure "one" after WWW)