The Masters and Science

Jul 25, 1996 05:34 PM
by Paul M.M. Kieniewicz

K. Paul and Chuck indicate ( sorry for paraphrasing but my computer only
gets this 'digest thing' and I haven't figured out how to undigest it)...
that the scientific discrepancies in the ML can be explained because the
Masters are neither physical scientists nor omniscient. I agree with that
statement. However -- it raises even more disturbing questions.

Here am I, a Master receiving Sinnett's ridiculous questions. My reply would
be (following the above argument)  the following:

"My Dear Sinnett,

I am neither a physical scientist nor omniscient so I can't possibly answer
your questions. How am I to know what the sun is made of, or the speed of
light or the mechanism for heating the Earth? Go ask your own scientists
such things. Sure I can give you my clairvoyant guess but it's probably
wrong. As for Atlantis - hey, we're talking about a myth which is what Plato
said it was all along. This is occult history - mythology - not physical
history. Atlantis is in the same class as Shamballa (located near Mount
Meru) so don't go looking for it in the Atlantic."

BUT - that was not the answer. The writer instead has the air of someone who
claims to know these things and claims to know the answers to Sinnett's
questions. Thus I find the  the following to be likely scenarios:

I. The letters were written by HPB. Like the ML writer, she made similar
pronouncements on science - claiming often to know better than the
scientists of the day.

II. The ML writer was deliberately setting him/her self up as an authority
on science in order to somehow further Sinnett's spiritual growth.

III. The ML writer was part of a "conspiracy" on the part of the Masters
carried out for the benefit of our planet to combat materialism (or to some
other mysterious end) that involved disemenating a false science called
theosophy.

I find scenario II unlikely, as I cannot comprehend what spiritual benefit
Sinnett could derive from the elliptic answers that he got to his questions.
Unless it was, so that he should quit bugging the Masters and rely on his
own horse sense,  because they are only feeding him nonsense.

If scenario (I) is excluded because the physical evidence (which I haven't
studied) is against it, we're left with scenario (III).

Actually I find no difficulty with scenario III and in the possibility that
theosophy is an elaborate hoax perpetrated by certain individuals for the
good of humanity - and that HPB could have been an unsuspecting victim in
this scheme. But in that case, I wouldn't bother studying the material at
least not the 19th century stuff, unless it can be independently verified.
Never mind the scientific pronouncements, even the occult teaching would be
suspect.

 I suspect that somewhere in Tibet, some individuals are right now having
quite a good laugh.

Any thoughts?

Paul K.