Re: Forwarding A. Bain's Comments on HPB in Tibet

Jun 20, 1996 09:16 AM
by Dr. A.M.Bain

In message <2.2.32.19960620061027.006c12ac@pop.slip.net>, alexis
dolgorukii <alexei@slip.net> writes
>What is "truth"? Well the motto of theosophy is
>"There is no religion higher than truth" so perhaps it's our mission to try
>to find out what it really is. I think that a goodly proportion of HPB's
>words and actions were intended to motivate us into doing so.
>Finding out what "truth" really is, is theosophy as a process.

Whether she intended this or not - though I suspect she did - I see no
realistic alternative.  If there is a Society with such a motto, then
perhaps it should have a single object - the seek out the truth
*wherever* it may be found, as HPB seems to have tried to do herself.
She clearly had a number of advisors, and whther she went to Tibet or
not may not even be that relevant.  For example, suppose the Tibetans
("Masters" or otherwise) did *not* have the truth?

Also, if there is a Society with such a motto, THE WORLD AT LARGE WILL
JUDGE IT BY ITS ADHERENCE TO ITS MOTTO.

Sorry to shout, but sometimes my placid Taurean nature gets fed up with
observing that people simply do not see what is right under their noses.
(Nothing personal).

Alan :-(
---------
THEOSOPHY INTERNATIONAL: