Re: Serious Discussions

Apr 28, 1996 03:01 PM
by Jerry Schueler

>Perhaps my opening statements give that impression. But I go on to
>explain that I'd hope to see a serious study of Theosophy
>peacefully coexist with discussions based upon disinterest or
>disbelief in it.
	Eldon, why can't we have a serious discussion?  I
would hope that we could, and that we have had such discussions.
I just quit one with JHE on bodies/planes out of frustration, but
I could always start it up again, or begin another one, at any
time.  Why can't you pick a topic, post some thoughts, and sit
back and wait for some responses and get a discussion going
at any time?  A response of "I don't believe it" is certainly a valid
one, and hopefully you could explain why you do so, and go on
from there with some other folks.  I agree that there is not much
room for discussion when the other side won't even believe in
the topic.  But there are other folks who probably do.  If I wanted
to talk about reincarnation, for exaample, I probably wouldn't
get far sparring with Alan, who doesn't beleive in it.  But you
and others do.  What is stopping you, or anyone else from
such a serious discussion?

>I'm not sure of the Adyar/Wheaton ideology, but in both the Point
>Loma and ULT approaches there's a definite attempt to acquire an
>intellectual understanding of the theosophical doctrines, with a
>strong emphasis on the source literature.
	There is nothing wrong with this approach.  However,
at some point, these teachings need to be internalized into a
functional worldview.  This is not easy, and cannot be done by
reading and study alone.  It has to be put into practice and lived.
I would hope that the friction and challenge here on theos-l
would help a good deal by providing a chaotic background in which
these ideas can germinate into living realities rather than just
lie fallow as mental ideas.

>The T.S. was to be the cornerstone of future western
>religions; it's up to us to be the masons to build the rest of the
>structure.
	Eldon, you are probably right, but could you give
me a source for this.  I do recall Judge saying that it was to
be the "cornerstone of western occultism" but I don't recall
the use of  the word "religions."

	Jerry S.
	Member, TI