Has Theosophy Done Its Work? What Now?

Apr 26, 1996 06:46 PM
by Eldon B. Tucker

Alexis:

[writing to Bee]

>The earliest motivation and/or agenda of theosophy was to introduce
>to the materialistic west certain ideas and principles that had
>been long forgotten by western thinking. Theosophy certainly succeeded
>in its informational purposes.

In a general way, it has done this work; I'd agree with you. There
are many groups and people working to spread basic ideas about
reincarnation and karma, spiritual evolution, other planes of
existence, the unity of life, etc.

These ideas, though, are the most basic and simple of the occult
doctrines, and are not being popularized in what I'd consider their
pure and accurate form. They could be considered fourth, fifth,
or sixth generation Theosophy, which much added and taken away.

Why would I care if the ideas change as they take hold in western
society? Because of my belief that they are based upon a Wisdom
Tradition, that they are doctrines that express some of the
knowledge about life carried by the Mahatmas, Bodhisattvas, and
Buddhas, the elect of mankind.

>I feel (and approve) that at least back then, Theosophy got
>coopted for the purpose of giving the Indian people their
>self-respect back and gaining Indian Independence from
>English domination. This was Theosophy's primary success.

Annie Besant and the Adyar T.S. did get involved in Indian
politics, and there was good that resulted from their efforts.
Earlier, Col. Olcott helped reform Buddhism in Sri Lanka,
earning himself the status of national hero; he is still held
in high regard for the work that he did.

What we need in the western world is the same efforts to
apply Theosophy in the world. This includes religious reform
as well as social, political, and lifestyle reform (and yes,
even a movement towards the gradual introduction of
vegetarianism).

What is needed? Brotherhood, including a sense of tolerance
for the differing views and lifestyles of others. Unselfishness
including the willingness to help others, not by politicians
with their hands in your wallet, but by people feeling generous
and willing to share what they have on their own initiative.
And people setting the example and encouraging others to
take self-initiative in their lives, taking personal responsibility
to reform themselves economically, psychologically, socially,
and spiritually.

People are not stupid puppets waiting to be told what to do
and think by their political/religious leaders, but get that way
out of laziness and because they were never taught to be
self-sufficient.

>But it's been accomplished.

The ideas are accessible now. It's possible to go into a bookstore
or library and find materials, and one can read in the local
newspaper of programs and classes to go to, held by many different
organizations. It's in the open now -- but I would submit that
the Gnosis is still not available to the common person, because
most people can still go through life and not have enough
exposure to it to feel an attraction. There's a long way to go
before a majority of people find their lives changed by the
theosophical movement.

>What is there for theosophy to do now? I feel that perhaps
>that's what groups like Theos-L are to "figure out".

A lot of things, really ...

Future religious organizations can be founded out of the raw
materials provided by the theosophical teachings. This may
include those organized along more traditional lines and would
appeal to an average person. This may also include those
organized along the lines of the Mysteries or schools of
Magic, intending to appeal to those approaching the Path;
this later variety may not necessarily bear any connection
with any existing Esoteric School associated with a theosophical
group.

The terminology needs to be sorted out a bit, and the
materials need to be written in a form that makes them
more presentable to modern readers. This does not mean that
the original works like "The Secret Doctrine" would go out
of print or be rewritten, just that a fresh wave of second
generation writings be produced. (Some of the writings may,
depending upon the writer, be possibly called "first generation"
if they are based upon original insight and personal experience,
and not just intellectual study.)

A third aspect would be to continue to follow the advances of
modern science, and bring an understanding of Theosophy and
the Platonic method of understanding to help with the scientific
process. Advances in science can be taken back into theosophical
literature, providing new metaphors and imagery for study and
contemplation. (Look at the rich field of materials from
chaos and nonlinear physics, like fractals, iteration,
strange attractors, the bifurcation curve, phase space, etc.)

The fourth aspect that occurs to me is something that is
personal and individual to each of us: treading the Path.
How can we expect to make productive use of materials based
upon the Mysteries if we won't apply them in our own lives
and begin the process of self-genesis? I would submit that
it is *not* hard to so, if we are sincere and willing. Although
there may not be outward signs of progress for perhaps many
years, changes do happen, and we grow towards major bifurcations
in our lives where the transformations show themselves in the
world.

-- Eldon

er and everything she wrote, not giving her a
serious consideration, because they look upon her personally
and upon the theosophical philosophy with far less admiration
and appreciation than we do.

-- Eldon