to Daniel re Alexis

Apr 26, 1996 07:27 AM
by K. Paul Johnson

Dear Daniel--

You asked me what I make of Alexis's identifications of Morya
and Koot Hoomi.  My reaction can be summed up in three points:

1) I am chagrined that I did not pursue the Maharaja of
Varanasi in my research, or find out that "Maurya" was part of
his name.  He certainly belongs in the pantheon of Theosophical
maharajas who collectively are part of what I regard as HPB's
group of occult sponsors.
2) As for Karan Singh's remarks to Alexis, it would be great
for the progress of Theosophical history to know what they were.
I find the identities of M. and K.H. to be overlapping enough
(in terms of parallel qualities like the name Singh, given in
Theosophical lit) that it wouldn't bother me in the least to
have definitive evidence of Alexis's hypothesis come forth.
3) The Theosophical movement would be far better off IMO if
there were a proliferation of attempts to identify various
Masters and argue for and against various hypotheses.  So far I
have seen absolutely no signs of this happening.