Question about "Facts Underlying Adept Biographies"

Apr 25, 1996 05:15 PM
by Virginia Behrens

Could anyone tell me if I am correct in my reading of the article,
"Facts Underlying Adept Biographies" by HPB in Collected Writings
(V. XIV, page 137 but especially pages 146-50) that the Ebionite
"Gospel of Matthew" in Hebrew was not available when HPB wrote and
is still not accessible?

If this is correct, could anyone also tell me if am correct in
my reading of the quotes from Skinner's "...Source of Measures"
that Skinner derived his Hebrew translation from the Greek version
of Matthew's gospel - (sort of a back translation)?

Usually I don't pay much attention to Bible translation debates but
this one about the words "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken
me?" vs. "My God, my God, how thou dost dazzingly glorify me!"
comes up rather frequently among people I know who profess to be
variously New Age, mystic, or esoteric Christians.  If I'm in the
midst of such discussions again I'd like to add, as best I can,
what I've read from this article.  Thanks much in advance!

Virginia Behrens, Member TI, TSA