Re: worth a lot more than that

Apr 24, 1996 10:54 PM
by alexis dolgorukii

At 03:01 PM 4/24/96 -0400, you wrote:
>>>>>>>cut<<<<<<<<(the string was too long)
Donna:

I am afraid that I must agree, almost without reservation to everything you
said in this terribly accurate posting of your observations. I too almost
despair of finding a solution of this ever downwards spiral our country
seems to be in. There are those who use the facile idea that "Oh well, when
it hits bottom, it will have nowhere to go but up". But that is untrue, it
is far more likely to hit bottom, and stay there. Russia has hit bottom, and
we have yet to have any idea where it's going to go. The only consolation I
have is that the world's absolutely most intractable problem, Malignant
Nationalism, will perforce disappear when the Nations all hit "rock bottom"
and of necessity have to cooperate to continue to survive. Not survive as
nations but survive as individual humans. The many totally artificial Nation
States, which were created under duress for the most part, are falling back
into their original components all over this planet. Perhaps it's for the
best, as what was put together by force needs to be replaced by a synergy in
response to necessity and consensus. As to education, it is in equally dire
straits all over the planet. "Going back to the Old Days" will achieve no
results at all because we don't live in the "old days". I am constantly
confronted by people who come to me for assistance or teaching, who are not
simply abysmally ignorant but College Educated Abysmally Ignorant! I have a
student, a musical genius/computer genius who lives in Lexington,
Massachusetts and has never heard of Thoreau. I am constantly encountering
equal catastrophes. I do not think our educational system is capable of
repairing itself. There are just too many competing interests (the kids
being the least of them) that stand in the way.

I too see some faint hope in the alternative religious movements and in
theosophy which I believe, was meant to serve as a moderator in these
movements. But I see very little hope in Institutionalized Theosophy which
has, I fear, become the very thing it was designed to combat...a religion.

alexis dolgorukii
The Eclectic Theosophists
Shaman, Healer, Psychic