Re: TS/Theosophy/theos-l

Apr 25, 1996 09:01 AM
by Bee Brown

liesel f. deutsch wrote:

>         Dear Doss,
>
> Thanks. That was very well put.
> I'd just like to clear up one detail of your statement. There is a
> difference between furthering the "brotherhood" of humanity, with which I
> fully agree, and just forming a "nucleus", with which I do not agree. If
> we're going to practice "Brotherhood" let's include in everyone who can
> trace their roots back to The One. I think that includes not only all of
> humanity, but also all of creation.We're all interrelated, & we should all
> look out for everyone & everything else, as good as we can. A tree can give
> me shade, & maple syrup, I'll give it water & jube spikes. OK?
>
> Liesel
> Member TI, TSA, TS of canda, HR

Just a little aside to this. Olcott says that The Society sprang from
interest by some persons to study occult phenomena and the Theosophical
Society was formed for this purpose.
"The Brotherhood plank in the Society's future platform was, therefore, not
thought of: later on, however, when our sphere of influence extended so as to
bring us into relations with Asiatics and their religions and social systems,
it became a necessity, and, in fact, the corner-stone of our edifice."

Would this suggest that the Brotherhood bit was to start with was to overcome
racist prejudices in the ordinary sense and not the deal with the spiritual
oneness of all? This appears to have come later after the SD was written.

   Bee Brown
   Member TSNZ,Wanganui Branch.
   Theos Int & L