To alex from karl (1)

Apr 24, 1996 11:01 AM
by Porreco, Nick - CPMQ

Alex, I am passing this on from Karl.

Nick.

> Date: Wednesday, April 24, 1996 3:29PM
> From: Karl A Bryan
> Subject: Re: from Alex

          alexis

          To start off with, I notice that you choose to sign your
          name in small caps.  This is how I prefer to sign, it lends
          more credence to my belief that my name (like my body) is
          only a transitory phenomena in my life wave.

          It never ceases to amaze me, the large number of religions
          that held women in equal status with men.  Yet if you were
          to ask the average citizen here, what is the major religious
          belief system in the world.  They would probably answer,
          christianity.  (the same goes for what is the most widely
          spoken non-oriental language, most people do not realize
          that it is Spanish).  My point is, it is hard for people to
          accept women in an equal status when the basic core beliefs
          place women in a distant second position (with alternative
          lifestyles in the far distance if even on the board).
          Womens rights movements do have one thing in their favor,
          easy access to communication.  The struggle for equality on
          multiple fronts is easier when you realize that you are not
          the only one struggling.

          I am in total agreement with your statement of
          christianities "enshrinement of ignorance".  I left the
          catholic church after I was chastised for reading books that
          were on the banned books reading list.  The priest told me
          that the list was to protect the parishoners from ideas that
          could lead us astray.  I argued that GOD had given me a
          brain to use and for me to blindly follow anothers ideas
          without using my own GOD given abilities was an affront to
          GOD.  Needless to say, the discussion broke down shortly
          after that.

          About your comment on Cuba; I believe that if the US had not
          been so arrogant and had recognized Cuba (after all, the
          Cubans had just done what the US had done to England
          centuries earlier).  The seige mentality that Cuba has been
          living under would not have happened.  With the massive
          education of the populace, the powers within Cuba would not
          have been able to keep in place all of the restrictions on
          personal a political liberties. It is the seige mentallity
          that has been used to enforce the restrictions.  The lack of
          education in the US is why it is easy to convince people
          that the anti-terrorism bill is for our own good.  Little do
          the people know that the bill will restrict our rights and
          do very little (if anything at all) to prevent terrorism.

          karl