Tropical Fish and Semi-Selves

Apr 23, 1996 06:39 PM
by Eldon B. Tucker

Richard Ihle:

[Writing to the renowned -- reNOUNed? -- humorist Chuck]

>When I think of you, I am often reminded of the company which wanted to
>import expensive tropical fish from across the ocean.  This would have
>been a very profitable venture except for the fact that more than half
>the fish would always be found dead in their tanks upon their arrival
>in the United States.
>
>The solution was simple:  the company just started putting a bullhead
>in each tank.
>
>While it was true that the bullheads ate a few of the tropical fish, the
>great aeration of the water created as the bullheads chased their
>victims during the long voyage enabled 99% of the rest to survive. . . .

This is a very good story, one that I will try to remember and
repeat later when called upon to do so.

In reading your analysis, which follows, though, I found it difficult
to wade through, not being completely conversant with your home-made
terminology. I'm sure that if you translated the same ideas into
Buddhist or traditional theosophical terms, I'd readily pick up on it.

When you write certain ideas, they may be clear and brilliant in
your mind's eye, as you contemplate them, but it's important to
chose the type of words that will convey that brilliance to the
reader's mind. The desired result of communication is "Ah Ha!",
not "Huh?" Writing to different audiences, different terms may be
appropriate.

If you were starting another school of thought, you could invent
new terms for everything and give just the right spin to the
ideas rolling off your lips. This would give you complete accord
between your inner thinking and your outer expressions. In an
imperfect world, though, we have to adopt shared languages and
terms, and compromise our outer expressions.

You're great at story telling, a light touch of humor, and
giving us new words to look up in the dictionary! I'm not sure,
though, that you look for feedback regarding how effectively
you communicate your psychological and metaphysical analyses.
This is something that you'll need to review as you prepare,
someday, to vastly out do your last book, and reach the minds
of untold thousands!

-- Eldon