Re: MESSENGER #14--Correction

Apr 20, 1996 09:01 AM
by RIhle

>Chuck writes>
>I've been studiously avoiding reading threads that are bad for my blood
>pressure these days and I reccommend you do the same.
>By the way, it was an article you wrote about the TS in the short lived
>journal Gnostica in the 1970's that got me into the TS in the first place,
so
>you have heavy Karma.
>I think Alan has a hair shirt somewhere you may want to borrow.
>Just thought you'd like to know.
>
>Chuck MTI, FTSA

Richard Ihle writes>
Chuck, I think any "heavy karma" which might be the result of having
influenced you to check-out the TS would actually be very much on the
positive side.

When I think of you, I am often reminded of the company which wanted to
import expensive tropical fish from across the ocean.  This would have been a
very profitable venture except for the fact that more than half the fish
would always be found dead in their tanks upon their arrival in the United
States.

The solution was simple:  the company just started putting a bullhead in each
tank.

While it was true that the bullheads ate a few of the tropical fish, the
great aeration of the water created as the bullheads chased their victims
during the long voyage enabled 99% of the rest to survive. . . .

 From my vantage, at least, even more important than any Magical technique in
the progressive improvement of Self-awareness is the simple incentive
provided by PAIN resulting from unsatisfactory semi-Self (egoic) indulgence.
 If individuals reaped nothing but success from their egoic delusions (e.g.,
the fourth-level "I REALLY AM the idea I am drawn to," or the fifth-level "I
REALLY AM my desire-free idea") there would be little incentive to develop
and continuously maintain the "Once-Removed Vantage."

You have helped far more people than you hurt with your humor, I assure you.
 Most people, regardless of what they say, probably do not press the *delete*
key when they see your messages; rather, they likely just read them with a
hightened degree of Mindfulness because they can never predict what you will
say.  If they could keep this up in all the other areas of their lives, they
would walk the earth as gods for sure.

The reason I try to discourage myself and others from resorting to the
all-too-easy characterizations of people's motivations or personal attributes
in arguments is simply that these things do not fight the actual
Desire-Mental or Mental semi-Selves the individuals may be indulging.
 Calling someone "condescending," for example, does not damage the "garment"
of the mental type of semi-Self; it merely forces the person to take it off
for a while and utilize ("become") a Desire-Feeling semi-Self for protection.

After the familiar third-level fight of emotional charge and counter-charge,
the individual can then go back and put on the same undamaged and unchanged
mental-ego garb.  In the long run, keeping the "character traits" of the
participants out of arguments seems like a more efficacious approach.  If a
person can be shown that the garment of his or her idea is not so exalted or
indefectable that it immediately subordinates all others wearing different
garments, there is a much better chance the person will not be tempted to
rely on it as a *full-blown* substitute for his or her Inner Identity.

No, a person like you is very valuable for the theosophical life.  Not only
are you a good model of someone with enough "psychological flexibility" to
easily juxtapose dissimilar planes to achieve humorous effect, but your mere
presence reminds others--as it is reminding me now in this extended
exposition--not to *completely* lose the Self in temporary transformation to
mental semi-Self.

--After all, Chuck is around, so there is a very good chance that he will be
able to perceive some unnoticed incongruity or humor in one's oh-so-serious
and sacred and Self-suicidal idea.  Chuck's Lesson:  Parade in the mental
garment for a while, but always be ready to throw it aside with the passing
comment, "*That* raggedy idea wasn't the Real Me anyway.". . .

Thanks, Chuck.

Godspeed,

Richard Ihle