Lurkers

Apr 18, 1996 08:50 AM
by Michelle Donald

Why lurkers dont join in...

If we look at this mailing list as an electronic meeting then just as
at physical meetings not all people participate by speaking.

I can think of a number of reasons why this is so, such as:

1) the point has been well covered by others

2) time has run out and the topic has moved on

3) at some meetings a few take over alienating others

4) some prefer to listen and distill the info in their own time not
necessarily on the spot or in public

5) dont feel confident in speaking up

6) arent interested in that topic

etc etc.

Something many of us do is assume others do things for the reason we
do - however not all people join lists to participate via postings,
I'm sure some do as a way to keep informed.

BFN
OOROO
Michelle

michelle@zip.com.au
Get On-Line Internet Training and Database Services
http://www.arch.unsw.edu.au/netcourse/