Re: Netiquette

Apr 17, 1996 09:53 PM
by alexis dolgorukii

At 03:11 PM 4/17/96 -0400, you wrote:
>It's good to see some suggestions for netiquette on Theos-l from Michelle,
>Liesel and Alan.  I would also suggest that we be more aware of what
>we post of Theos-l, etc.
Daniel:

I don't know what or why other people do things so I cannot presume to speak
for them. But I do know what I do, and why I do it. I respond to every
message which is directed to me, and/or which mentions me directly. Somewhat
more rarely there is a string to which I want to add my 2 cents, and I do
so. I am always careful to "clear away the deadwood" as I was taught by
Nicholas Weeks when I first joined the board. I always delete any message I
wrote myself as I really don't need to read what I wrote. There are many
people on this board with whom I enjoy conversing, I try to avoid the two
line posting, but if one is addressed to me, it seems it would be impolite
to ignore it. I know I would react less than positively to any attempt to
limit anyone's "freedom of speech" by limiting the number of postings one is
permitted.

Most access providers now have a 20.00 per month unlimited access fee, I
myself pay 19.95 for unlimited access. The few providers that are more
expensive may provides servies their subscribers value more than a less
expensive use fee. But that's their own decision. I don't feel responsible
for their budgets as I don;t expect them to worry about mine.

As to "lurkers", everyone in theis world is different. This is an internet
list, I have run, and do run, several groups for metaphysical and shamanic
discussion etc. We have lurkers there too. Some folks "lurk" others are more
forward. I do think that people come out wehn they are ready to do so.
Perhaps the "lurkers" want to get a "feel" of what's going on before risking
their ideas in public. It is, I believe, their right to do so. This list is
for discussion and sharing, but some people would like to assemble their
thinking first. Some of them, after"lurking" for a bit, may actually be
afraid someone will demand their "sources and authorities" every time they
venture a personal opinion. With folks like you, Eldon, Richard Taylor,
Jerry scheuler,and myself aboard, this list is a scary place for beginners
and maybe it should be. Perhaps we should provide a "Welcome Newcomers"
thing like Buds and Roots.

As to numbers, well I don't knopw why people have left the board and I don't
think anyone does. This list is, I think quite a special place, and perhaps
some people are uncomfortable with it, that of course is their perogative.
But most of the people on this baord are happy with the format, and so it's
that kind of person we need to attract.

alexis dolgorukii