MESSENGER #14

Apr 17, 1996 01:41 PM
by RIhle

Now, while many of us have been very busy determining who is smug,
blasphemous, condescending, etc., it probably should not go unnoticed that
the Big TS Machine, Algeo Section, just keeps rolling along toward its
objectives.

The latest edition of THE MESSENGER provides us (no apparant by-line again)
with "Chapter 10" of ~Theosophy in a New Key~which I believe has been
recently accepted for TPH publication.  My prediction--and I would like this
noted--is that this book is not intended to be merely one among many, but
will sooner or later become "quasi-official" in that it will be sent out as
part of "new members" materials or something similar.  --Just watch.

Anyway, in the last installment, we learned that the "inner side" to Object
Three was really *Aim Three*--"to bring together a group of people who are
informed about the principles of the Wisdom Tradition, who have begun the
work of self-transformation, and WHO ARE DEDICATED TO COOPERATING WITH THE
ELDERS AND ASSISTING THEIR WORK [capitals added]."  In Chapter 10 we learn
about the "capital *T*."

First, let me say I am not at all dismayed that a recent post has added me to
the "Eldon and Rich T. team."  Eldon is a fine gentleman, and I would be
proud to stand with him any day no matter how much we disagree.  We *do*,
however, continue to disagree on this *T* thing, and I think Chapter #10
shows why I am so concerned with it.

I previously offered a definition of "generic" *theosophy*:  "knowledge which
has its base in, or at least originally derives from, transcendental,
mystical, or intuitive insight [or higher perception]"

I previously offered the definition of capitalized *Theosophy*:  "specific
doctrines, primarily those found in THE SECRET DOCTRINE and a few other
related writings."

I previously asked the question, "In *The Theosophical Society*, does the
*Theosophical* refer to the first or second definition?

Eldon, as I remember, elaborated many good points, but he never (correct me
if I am wrong) specifically answered this question.

But this is a crucial question.  Setting aside the shaky dichotomy of
"perception vs. brain-based" orientations etc., it is my opinion that the
second definition is simply not broad enough to include the wide-ranging
perspectives of the majority of us on this list--I simply don't see that
Shamans, Magicians, Psychogeneticists, or indeed anyone with a new
theosophical idea at all can logically call himself or herself a Theosophist
(member of the Theosophical Society) if the official name implies such a
doctrinal delimitation.

John Algeo, or whoever the "we" is who seems to speak for the Society in ~New
Key~, however, seems to have no problem with this.  First, he or she
generally alludes to *generic theosophy* as "certain ideas, practices, and
attitudes" found in variety of places (to be fair, there is a pitiful
dictionary reference offered which refers to it in terms of "mystical
redemption" etc.).   Second, he or she cites the entry in the HarperCollins
Dictionary of Religion to define capitalized *Theosophy* as: "The primary
tenets presented in Blavatsky's modern compendiums of Theosophy [. . .]."

Then, later on, what almost seems like a BIG TRICK reveals itself in the
answer to Question Eight:

"Theosophy is not mentioned in the Objects, but THE NAME OF THE ORGANIZATION
[capitals added] is after all the 'Theosophical Society,' and that implies
that it has something to do with Theosophy [capital *T*, which has just been
defined as specific doctrine].  [. . .] There is no 'official' Theosophy, but
there is clearly a body of ideas and PRACTICES [capitals added] called
Theosophy.  [. . .]"

It now seems that we not only have ideas but *practices* which are official
enough to get the capital *T*.  To me this provides the basis for utilizing
the full resources of the Society not only for the promulgation of specific
doctrines (but not others) but perhaps even also certain "training programs"
as well--e.g., the "The Masters of the Mind's Eye Program" (E.S. Tech. #5).

Oh well, I suppose I better not get too exorcised about all this because if I
were in a position to speak for the Society in my version of the ~New Key~, I
would likewise probably be using all the "subtlety" at my disposal to get the
official name of the organization to reflect my own definition for
capitalized *Theosophy*:  "The ineffable Universal of which *theosophy* is
the attempted articulation."

 (--I'd give in, however, and let Eldon and others call the "Core Teachings"
*The Principal Theosophical Philosophy* if they wanted to.)

The Big TS Machine . . . it just seems to keep rolling no matter who is smug,
blasphemous, or condescending. . . .

Godspeed,

Richard Ihle