Netiquette guidelines and the future of Theos-l, etc.

Apr 17, 1996 12:03 PM
by Blavatsky Foundation

It's good to see some suggestions for netiquette on Theos-l from Michelle,
Liesel and Alan.  I would also suggest that we be more aware of what
we post of Theos-l, etc.

One problem I see is the large number of daily postings by a few individuals.
One night at 9 pm I checked my Theos-l mail.  Then only 10 hours later I
checked my
mail again and found more than 40 messages from Theos-l.  Of these  messages
18 had been posted by one individual and 22 had been posted by another
person!  This
may be an extreme example but...

A friend of mine who is involved in alot of Usenet groups tells me that some
of these
groups limit you to 3 to 5 postings per day.  I am not suggesting that some
limit be
enforced, but each of us might be a little more aware of the number we send
and try to
be considerate of others.  I am on a commercial service where I pay $20 a
month for
unlimited internet access.  But many of you probably pay by the hour and
reading tons
of messages may be expensive (not to mention time-consuming).

Also there is the common practice to quote from three or four previous
messages and then
add one or two lines of comment.  One has to read through all the previous
stuff just
to find that someone says at the end:   "I agree", etc.

6 or 7 people have told me privately that they had stopped subscribing to
Theos-l because
there is just too much inane chit-chat, one and two-liners, etc.  Maybe
John Mead could have a separate forum called Theos-chitchat?  Or maybe serious
discussion could be posted on roots, news or buds and theos-l could be
reserved for
chit-chat, etc.  Therefore, those who are bored by such chitchat could
unsubscribe to
Theos-l and people who want to have serious, indepth discussions on
Theosophy could
subscribe, post and read on buds, news or roots?  We do have four separate
lists and
most postings are on Theos-l.  Therefore, the other 3 forums are unused for
all practical
purposes.  HINT HINT

Some discussion and critical comments have also occurred on Theos-l
concerning the no growth or drop in membership in the various Theosophical
groups, yet the number of subscribers to Theos-l has not grown in the last
year or so.  In fact 2 or 3 weeks ago, the total number of subscribers was
less than 90.  And I remember 6 to 12 months ago, when that total was (I
believe) over 100.  What's going on here?

Also the vast majority of subscribers to Theos-l are LURKERS.  Now that's
okay if they
want to be lurkers.  But I am curious why such a high percentage of
subscribers never
post or seldom ever post anything to Theos-l?  PLEASE LURKERS PLEASE TELL US IN
PUBLIC OR PRIVATE WHY YOU DON'T JOIN IN.

Again, could John Mead clarify what relationship Theos-l, buds, news and
roots have to
the Theosophical Society in America (Wheaton).  I was under the impression
that these
Internet forums were sponsored by the TSA but now I am told that this is no
longer the case.

Again, to the LURKERS, please share what you know about Theosophy with the
rest of
us.  Post a review of a good book on Theosophy, psychic phenomena,
Gnosticism, shamanism, magic, kabala, etc. etc. If you have found a book of
great value, SHARE it with the rest of us.  What's going on in other parts
of the world with Theosophy?  Are there events or lectures, etc. going on in
Australia, New Zealand, England, Finland?  Would someone living in one of
those countries post from time to time what's going on in your country?

Can anyone who attended any of the Judge Centennial Events in Ojai,
Pasadena, Wheaton or
Coulterville post a summary of what happened?

The Internet is here but I still don't believe we Theosophists are taking
full advantage of
it.  We are not even taking full advantage of the Theos-l, etc. forums!  No
wonder most of the
world knows little it anything about Theosophy!!

I will probably get flamed for some of the above remarks but I am trying to
be honest with my comments.  I am not trying to criticize anyone.   Just
giving (hopefully) some food for thought.

Daniel

P.S.   BEE, could you do a short review of that new book from Adyar on
Discipleship as
found in THE MAHATMA LETTERS?  Wheaton TPH and the Quest Bookshop in New York
did not have the book and knew nothing about the book when I talked to them
about a month ago.

Liesel's, Alan's, and Michelle's previous comments on this subject are
appended below: