Re: To: Jerry Re; Gnostics

Apr 14, 1996 03:27 PM
by Jerry Schueler

>Jerry
>
>I really think that occultists need to be ethical. Otherwise you blow up
>Nagasaki,
>& steal ova out of unsuspecting women, & we haven't as yet figured out how
>to ethically use recombinant DNA.
>
>Liesel

	What can I say, Liesel?  I can't argue with you, and won't.
This may be the hundredth time I have said this, but let me say
say it one more time:  I am not opposed to ethics, and I believe
that ethics comprises the first step that we must take if we are
to tread the spiritual Path.  What I am opposed to, is forced ethics.
Ethics usually has to be forced onto children as they grow up in
order to be good citizens and so on.  At some point in our life,
there really should come a time when we are spontaneously
ethical, without having to think about it, or worry about how
"morally upright" we are.  Theosophists who concern themselves
with how ethical they, or their neighbors are, are still working on
the first step of the Path.  While this can be expected of Newbies,
I have a hard time wondering why oldtimers are still stuck on
this step, when they should be well along.  I know that you don't
worry about such things, Liesel, and I can sense from your
postings that you are well into the second step, of developing
compassion.  You, for example, don't try to rub my nose in
right and wrong, nor point out to me what HPB and Judge
have to say about the importance of ethics.  We both already
know that it is important.  I simply feel that it is also important
to move onto the next step, and show some compassion.
Compassionate people don't try to judge others (while I
judge postings and viewpoints, I really do try not to judge
people).  Compassionate people are spontaneously ethical.

OK, off my soapbox, and back to my quiet room...

	Jerry S.
	Member, TI