Re: Do vs Be

Apr 14, 1996 03:27 PM
by Jerry Schueler

Alexis:
>Of course yopu're right there. but preaching at Humans to "be" rather than
>to do, usually results in deep misunderstanding. Most Humans understand "be"
>as "sit on your ass, and while you clearly understand that it doesn't mean
>that. How do you propose to es\xplain it to "Joe Sixpack"? That's what
>theosophy is all about, I think, to explain abstract reality as best as
>possible to "Joe Sixpack".

	Joe Sixpack?  I wasn't even able to explain it to a single
family member, who all consider me a black sheep for leaving
the Christian Science fold.
	I still recall one evening when I was young, when my
grandparents came for a visit.  My grandfather was in his early
80s at the time (he died at 90).  He was a bit depressed, and
began talking about old age.  He stated, loudly, that all old people
should be lined up and shot because they no longer contributed
anything to society.  Now, it turns out that this idea was prevelant
with the American Indians, but my grandfather was German,
and spoke from his heart rather than from a philosophy.
	So, you are right, Alexis, people don't understand the
difference between be and do.  They think that life is doing,
and when there is no longer anything constructive to do, they
die.  I was not able to help my grandfather (no one else could
either, except maybe my grandmother who told him to shut up).
I suspect that I will be unable to give much solice to Joe Sixpack
either.

	Jerry S.
	Member, TI