Is Theosophy for the Few?

Apr 13, 1996 09:06 AM
by Eldon B. Tucker

Nick:

>I don't think her intention was only for the few.  She may have realized
>that at the time there were only a few that could take advantage of the
>majority of what she had to say, but with time as others developed their
>experience base and vocabulary they could more and more participate.

I'd agree in part, and say that there are many levels to Theosophy,
with something to offer people of all backgrounds. Like Judge says
in the opening words of "The Ocean of Theosophy", Theosophy is like
a great ocean, with depths to meet the needs of the most demanding
students, yet with a shoreline that offers something to everyone
who'd approach it.

In our promoting of Theosophy, it's easy to concentrate on meeting
the needs of deep-sea divers, and forget that there are waders,
swimmers, and surfers at its shoreline, also with important needs.

-- Eldon